Steering rack gaiters

BX Tech talk
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Steering rack gaiters

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

At the weekend I was fiddling about on the car, and while trying to retrieve a nut which had disappeared down the back of the engine I noticed there was a small hole in the steering rack gaiter. there are repalcements listed on ebay but the description says it is for the following models:
Citroen BX 1.6 Excl. ABS - Man - 8/83 to 3/84

Citroen BX 1.6 Excl. ABS - All - 4/84 to 6/94

Citroen BX 1.7 D - Man - 9/85 to 5/93

Citroen BX 1.7 TD Excl. ABS - Man - 5/88 to 5/93

Citroen BX 1.7 TD ABS - Man - 5/88 to 5/93

Citroen BX 19 8v, Not GTi Excl. ABS, Excl. 4x4 - All - 9/84 to 5/93

Citroen BX 19 GTi 8v Excl. ABS, Excl. 4x4 - All - 6/86 to 5/93

Citroen BX 19 GTi 16v ABS, Excl. 4x4 - Man - 10/87 to 10/92

Citroen BX 19 8v, Excl. ABS, Excl. 4x4 - Man - 1/90 to 6/92

Citroen BX 19 D - All - 3/84 to 5/93

I mentions 8v GTi but specifically excluding ABS; although it does mention ABS for other models. Is this just a bad description of what it fits. Is there any difference in the steering between ABS and non ABS models? I thought it was only drive shafts that were different.

Thanks in advance for any help
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

No difference as far as I know.

Not sure if there is any difference between PAS and manual steer models, except manual steer model ones could be easier to fit.
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Aint the truth!
Non PAS cars are very easy to do the N/S gaitor, PAS cars are a swine.

They are all the same though so not sure what the listing is all about.

If you need to do the N/S gaitor get a Pug gaitor or a later Xantia gaitor. they're rubber rather than plastic, and the only way to fit a plastic one without mullering it is to strip the rack out.
The rubber one slides over the ram stub with a bit of lube!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

docchevron1472 wrote:The rubber one slides over the ram stub with a bit of lube!
Be careful saying that if you're up here in Wales! :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Whenever I'm in Wales I tell the sheep "It's the dry way or the highway lady"! :wink:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Thanks,
I am not sure what these ones were, plastic or rubber; I must admit I assumed they would be rubber gaiters similar to CV boots.
Unfortunately mine is a PAS model, so won't be such an easy job then.
How do you fit them? I assumed you would just need to unscrew the track rod end and slide it on. Is there a lot more to it? or is it just lack of access that makes it akward?

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Rob_e (UK) wrote:How do you fit them? I assumed you would just need to unscrew the track rod end and slide it on. Is there a lot more to it? or is it just lack of access that makes it akward?
For the driver side one, yes. For the passenger side one there is the slight issue of the PAS ram mounting point that you have to get past. As Doc says, if you use a rubber boot you can just about ease it over the mounting point (with the PAS ram disconnected and out of the way)

The Haynes BOL says you have to strip the rack to fit the passenger side boot, which is true if you're using a plastic one. (as these don't stretch enough to go over the PAS mounting stub)
this might be a signature
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Guess which side I need to replace :(
The passenger side, typical. Oh well better try and get a rubber one then.

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

As long as the hole is not on a bend you can do a temporary repair by sticking on a patch with super glue to stop any muck getting in.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

The whole is pretty much in one of the bends. I have tried to clean it up a bit and use some gaffer tape to cover the whole temporarily; not sure how long it will stay on.
The new one has turned up now. It said it was a nearside one. There are two different bits in the kit though, are there two parts to the parts to the nearside gaiter? I am wondering if perhaps the kit contains both sides. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
It looks like one of them would fit on the rack between the main part ofthe rack and finish at the mounting point for the PAS ram. Is this correct? On the car it looks like there is also some sort of cover/gaiter the other side of the ram mounting as well, but this is much smaller than the other bit in the kit.

Thanks,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Ok, Firstly here is what turned up in the kit, two bits of gaiter and a selection of cable ties.

Are there supposed to be multiple parts to the nearside one? i.e. a bit either side of the PAS ram mounting point. Or is just the part labeled A for the nearside to fit where the red mark is on the picture below, and part B is actually for the other side?

The bit I have marked in green feels like it is part of the gaiter as well, but is much smaller than part B, do you just not normally replace this bit?

When you replace it are you supposed to put any greese on the rack inside the gaiter? if so any specific type

Also is do you have to remove the ram completely, i.e. the pipes as well, or is there enough play to get teh gaiter on with out removing the pipe. I have replaced the ram myself but I think I disconnected the pipes before removing the mounting bolts so am not really sure.

Thanks in advance
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The two bits that came in the kit. The top one is the one you need. The bottom one is for the driver's side.

The bit you've highlighted green can stay exactly where it is. If it's not broken and all that. The bit you need to change is the red bit only.

To get the ram out of the way, loosen it's mounting at the pinion end, and remove the mounting at the rack end. It you should then have enough play in the pipes (don't be afraid to bend them a tiny bit) to get the boot into place. It also makes things easier if you have the system completely depressurised so that you have the rack in "full right-hand-down" position (fully extended) and the ram can be pushed back to "straight-ahead" or over to "full left-hand-down" position to get it out of the way.

Make very sure that the boot is greased wherever it's going to be pushed over, as otherwise it will be impossible to get it on.
this might be a signature