Glow plug specifications

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Glow plug specifications

Post by mat_fenwick »

Does anyone know the difference between a Beru GV636 and a GN909? The GV636 is listed for the BX diesels, turbodiesels and Xantia diesels, wheras the GN909 is listed for the Xantia turbodiesel.

I'm going to replace the set on my Xantia turbodiesel engined BX, so I'm 99% sure I should go for the GN909 (also cheaper!), but can't think why there would be a difference.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hi Mat,

The XUD9TE engined cars were fitted with 'afterglow' which basically meant that the glow plug relay keeps powering the glowplugs after the engine has started, with the aim of reducing smoke on start up. In appearence they differ in that the afterglow type plugs have a tapering tip.

If you still have the BX glow plug relay, you want GV636.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Hi Mat,

The XUD9TE engined cars were fitted with 'afterglow' which basically meant that the glow plug relay keeps powering the glowplugs after the engine has started, with the aim of reducing smoke on start up. In appearence they differ in that the afterglow type plugs have a tapering tip.

If you still have the BX glow plug relay, you want GV636.
And the plugs are different to suit, I meant to say...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks Jonathan, that would explain things...

Mine still has the BX relay fitted, but I notice that the glow plugs do stay on after the light has gone out (maybe another 20 seconds).

It is a little difficult to start since removing it from the Xantia - it will run roughly for about 30 seconds with a lot of unburnt diesel smoke. My Dad (who owned the Xantia previously) had the glow plugs replaced about 20k before the swap, so my suspicion is that the garage only replaced the easiest 3 and the 'old' plug has failed.

Unless, the BX relay is not keeping the afterglow plugs on for long enough? Can't see why that would cause difficulty in actually starting though... Either way - a new set of BX plugs should cure the problem.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mat_fenwick wrote:I notice that the glow plugs do stay on after the light has gone out (maybe another 20 seconds).
Only if you don't start the engine. The moment you stop cranking the engine, the plugs go off.

Later 405 TD's also had the "after-glow" system installled, as noted by the additional switch on the injection pump. The plugs would stay on for about 2 minutes after startup, or until you used more than 30% accelerator, or until the coolant reached 60C, whichever came first.

... none of which you have (so I'm not sure why I even mentioned it)

The later "afterglow" type plugs are considered an upgrade, as they are somewhat tougher, being designed to run for several minutes. If these are cheaper, I'd use them.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DavidRutherford wrote:... none of which you have (so I'm not sure why I even mentioned it)
So that I now know more than I used to about 405 TDs...

To be honest, curiosity was the main point of the initial question - I didn't need to know the answer as I was sure either would have done the job, but I don't like not knowing things!

Price (without VAT) is £5.10 versus £6.40, presumably as the later plugs are bought by GSF (or simply manufactured) in larger quantities.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote: The later "afterglow" type plugs are considered an upgrade, as they are somewhat tougher, being designed to run for several minutes. If these are cheaper, I'd use them.
You learn something every day :wink:
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Have fun changing the plug behind the pump - it's a joy on a Xantia engine!!

Be very careful of the water outlet from the head just above the plug - it's easy to snap the stub off. Stuff a rag down the back of the injection pump to catch fallen plugs, nuts, and spanners. Cut the ring on the last connector on the power rail before refitting - you can then screw the nut on the plug first, fit the plug, then just push the connector under the nut. You need a very deep cranked ring spanner to get the plug out. Remove the adjacent plug as this allows more room to slide your hand along the head at the back of the pump to *just* get a finger on the plug to turn it. Depending on the fuel supply to the pump, you may need to remove this too (I had to on the ZX).
I NEED a BX TD.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks for the tips Richard.
RichardW wrote:Be very careful of the water outlet from the head just above the plug
I have taken this off, and replaced it with the blanking plate from the BX engine. TBH it doesn't look too bad a job (that's cursed it!). Now if you asked me about changing the oil pressure sender on an Alfa V6.... ](*,)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad