new member needs help

BX Tech talk
Roger

new member needs help

Post by Roger »

The name is Roger, I an not far from Terry from Suffolk, he is just up the road from me. And through his boasting about his mpg of his diesal estate we are now the proud owners of a 1990 1700cc turbo 5 door car.
She has come from a forum member, she is in damn good nick, and in 3000 miles, she has not missed a beat. But, we have two problems, the first one is, we did have a horn, now we do not have a horn, wiring has been checked, fuses have been checked, but, I still cant find where citron have hidden the bloody thing. One of the bangs we thopught were stones one day, must have been it falling off.
So if we did have one, please, can someone please tell me where the bloody thing should be.
Next, what is the secret please for stopping the plastic dashboard from squeaking,all the screws have been tightened, if it does not stop soon, it will be attacked with a large club hammer, so please HELP.
Cheers, if someone could help I would be very grateful.#Roger
looking for bx
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

Hello mate. This is Terry not far from Roger.

Try the two BX manuals I've loaned you, and if they don't help...maybe it's just age!!!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And as for the creaking dash that's part of BX ownership unless you are really lucky. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey: Locate the area of the worst of the noises: Spray into cracks and between mouldings judiciously with silicon spray. buy those black adhesive pads (that are used for furniture feet etc.), rolled up pieces of insulating tape and push them gaps... Basically a combination of poor materials, iffy design, patchy build quality combined with wear and tear over the years is responsible.

There's one thing for sure: attacking it with a claw hammer will not make it go away: far from it :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The horn is probably inside the nearside of the front bumper under the headlight. You probably need to remove the inner wheel arch or the bumper to get at them (there are 2 on my car.)

Mine failed a few years ago and I was able to wobble the terminals on one with a long screwdriver through the vents in the front plastic and get it working again.

Basic horns are cheap - about £8.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I seem to remember, ages ago, someone posting details of how they made their BX stop rattling and squeaking but I can't find it. Anyone?

As a general rule though, they Just Do. Mine, being an estate, emits all sorts of bangs from the back end (although slightly fewer now that the tailgate's been adjusted - with a club hammer). My old TXD had leather seats which squeaked as they moved against each other and I was very satisfied to discover that Doc's valver (which is so good that the speedo doesn't even wobble) emits exactly the same noise.

If you discover you need a horn, I have one (off an old Pug 309) which is yours for the cost of postage but as Jeremy says they are dirt cheap; you may find one cheaper than the postage in your local spares shop.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Welcome Roger!

I remember reading a few years back that it was apparently part of Citroen's build procedure to throw a handful of beads behind the dash before assembly, so the odd squeak and rattle is to be expected...

My horn (only got one :( ) is in the same location as Jeremy's. You can just about get at it by flexing the plastic panels so you may be able to push on a loose connection if you're lucky. It may be easier though (if it is the horn at fault) to cut back the wiring, pull through from above and wire in a replacement horn in the engine bay itself.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad