Handbrake adjustment

BX Tech talk
demag
BXpert

Handbrake adjustment

Post by demag »

Does anyone have any tips for handbrake adjustment? When I relined the brakes I followed Haynes. But I thought if I keep pulling the adjusters up isn't there a chance I could pull the pads onto the disk?

The handbrake works ok at the moment but there is a lot of movement on the lever.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

There are two things you have to achieve with the handbrake adjustment.

1) the handbrake cable balance bar needs to be at right angles to the cables (the bit under the handbrake that pulls on both cables)

2) there needs to be a teeny tiny bit of free play in the arrangement.

Essentially, the levers on the calipers are spring loaded, and will return to the "handbrake off" position. The handbrake cables should have a tiny amount of free play in them with the handbrake in the fully off position such that the levers are allowed to be at their full extent of "off". You can check for this by wiggling the end of the handbrake cable at one caliper end. You should be able to pull the inner away from the lever by a mm or so fairly easily. Checking one side is fine, as if there is free play one side, there will (by the nature of the balancer) be free play on the other side.

... and that's it. If there isn't free play, then release one of the cables a bit, having checked the balance bar to see which one needs releasing. If the balance bar is balanced (rare, but it can happen!) then adjust both off by the same amount.

Conversley, if there is a mile of free play then adjust them up, making sure the balance bar is balanced when you're finished.

Once you're sure the brake levers on the calipers are not being held in anything other than their "fully released" position, start the engine, take the handbrake off, and stand HARD (full system pressure) on the brakes. This will adjust up the automatic adjusters built into the caliper (in the piston to be exact). And you're done.

Drink Beer / Tea as preferred.
this might be a signature