Running ruff as a badgers a***

BX Tech talk
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Running ruff as a badgers a***

Post by cxprestigeauto »

I know that the 4X4 does not have an unblemished reputation for reliability but even my patience is being sorely tested now.

The car has never run very well and at first I put this down to having been stood for a long time etc etc.

Well I have now run plenty of fresh petrol through it (at 27 mpg!).

I have put on new dizzy cap and rotor arm, new leads and plugs. I have blown out all the carb jets, put a new fuel filter on and replaced the original broken gasket in the carb.

My reward? Still running all over the place, alternator light now on and taken to cutting out!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

My 1985 CX thankfully runs like a dream, give me fuel injection any day!

Rob

Rant over :oops:
CX 25 IE Pallas auto 1985
Banham Sprint Kit Car (Frogeye Sprite)
Renault Modus 1.5 106 dci (Company Car)
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The alternator should be easy enough to change, and smeone on this forum will probably have a known good one you can buy.
What output is it?

27mpg from a 4wd with a carb is probably about right. The fuel injected 4x4 bx is not much better.

Look on the bright side-the problems you have are at least only 'old car' problems, not that the 4x4 system has broken.

Have you checked the choke mechanism is OK, also swap the ignition amp module and the coil.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like something electrical to me - could be something simple like a battery connection or earth or even the heavy connectors below the battery in the direction of the starter.

What voltage is the thing running at? It should be 14 - 14.4 volts across the battery with the engine running. The voltage should be aroung 12.5 after standing overnight (12.6 is good, 12.4 is poor)

Its worth checking things like resistance between the battery earth terminal and the engine when you crank the engine over. If the reading is more than 0.25 volts - the lead terminals need cleaning. (0.25 is recommended for a Range Rover - and is I think far too high - I'd be looking for 0.1 or 0.15)

You can use a similar method to measure the resistance of other circuits.

Check the alternator connections - are they tight - I think some are screwed rather than push on.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I had a similar issue with the MK1 16..
I too was getting very much to the end of my tether sorting this bad running/intermittant issue.

My only clue that it was electrical was once when running so badly that she stalled, the bar graph tacho remained frozen on the pre-stall rev indication.
I did all those things you've tried only to find it was a loose connection on the coil. I had checked these b4 but there was a connector on a connector that was loose.

Good luck ..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed