disintegrated cooling system braided hose!

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

disintegrated cooling system braided hose!

Post by maxgreenwood »

:) Well the good news is i've traced the suspension problems i've been getting to air getting into in the Hydraulic system via a split in the pump feed hose just near the pump where it goes through 90 degrees. I thought i'd hear the pump rattling if there was air in, so i kind of dismissed it, but it does sound smoother now i've changed the hose. I've used some clear braided hose from the hardware store temporarily while i get another rubber one. Citroen wanted to charge me €65 or something so i'm looking elsewhere! Bled the system and front brakes, need to get round to bleeding the back but i think i'll do that when i throw the new LHM in (Hydraflush been in for 2000miles ).

The bad news :roll: is the last couple of days the car has been dumping coolant after cooling down after a run. Fearing the worst i had a look around this am and pleased to say its just a split hose - the braided one from the back of the block going in the direction of the heater matrix. Thought i could push on over the split and redo the jubilee clip but a whole 4 inch section disintegrated in my hands! Its really fiddly around there and i'm not sure how easy it is to find the other end of the hose near the matrix when fitting a new one?

Does anyone have a citroen part number for this hose?

According to my Haynes diagram for the turbo diesel engine its the one that connects at the back of the engine block and feeds onto a smaller hose that eventually ends up feeding the heater matrix

i can get at the block end but is it difficult to attach at the other near the matrix? / onto the smaller hose that goes into the matrix?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hmm, unlucky. I hate those braided coolant hoses, and am sad to report that as well as being a pain in the arse to change they are also rather expensive (ITRO £60 IIRC). Also, I am sure that there were a couple of different variants, so you will have to either look on PRnet with your VIN number or quote it to your friendly Citroen dealer to find out what setup your car has.

An alternative may be to make up replacement hoses from silicone, but this is not something I have attempted; I'm not sure if silicone hose cannot be bent which necessitates cutting and inserting corner sections. Maybe...
Last edited by jonathan_dyane on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

This stuff looks like it might work, but is also 'kin expensive...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Hi, thanks jonathan. yeah that is pretty expensive. I can't find anything similar in dublin. From what i can gather it looks like a metal mesh under a rubber outer sleeve, presumably with a rubber inner sleeve as well? Local hose guys have braided fuel hose, but i don't know if that will take the cooling system pressure?

seeing nearly half your fleet is GSs you wouldn't be coming across these probelms!...

i'd love a good GS estate someday.
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
M

Re: disintegrated cooling system braided hose!

Post by M »

maxgreenwood wrote::) Fearing the worst i had a look around this am and pleased to say its just a split hose - the braided one from the back of the block going in the direction of the heater matrix.?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Horrible to replace, one method is unbolting the engine from the mounts and pulling it forward (whilst supported of course and all the pipes and stuff appropriatly disconnected - horrible job), even more horible to pay for.

Someone on here may have a trick of how to replace it, or better still thin girly hands and arms to get round the back of the block...
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

mmm thats not doing much for my diy spirit! I can reach the end near the block and reckon i can fit a new one there no prob, its just the other end - i'm not sure where is fits on.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

maybe my hands are girly. They like girls anyway.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

If it is the hose that goes from the back of the cylinder head round the back of the engine to the heater matrix, then it's part No 96017618, and costs £59.14 over here. This one is the same for all cars, but the other 2 braided hoses changed at RP 5638 (April 1992). You probably need to change all 3 though, since if one is like that the others are probably not far behind. Not sure how you get to the matrix end, but removing the OS driveshaft and water pump inlet housing and going in from the bottom might be the 'easiest'. The one that returns the water from the matrix went on one of mine - I took it to the garage in Glasgow, and it cost £140 - £10 for the hose and £130 to fit it :roll:
I NEED a BX TD.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

this is the right part no? same part number..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0293470950
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Post by tlampre »

maxgreenwood wrote:this is the right part no? same part number..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0293470950
I bought one of those from the same seller. (Very helpful guy.) I made an initial attempt to replace the hoses myself until I discovered I needed a third hose. I did line up the new hoses with the old ones to make sure they were the correct fit. My TZD is RP 5152 built in Dec 1990.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

it looks like i should be able to pull the old one off and do a straight swap as long as i can get my hands in there.. is this not the case?. are there secondary hoses that go through the bulkhead or something? maybe i could fashion these from normal rubber hose if so..?

Max
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

thanks everyone for help here by the way i'm hoping i can fix this - i wouldn't be anywhere near without the members of forum's help!
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

"I made an initial attempt to replace the hoses myself until I discovered I needed a third hose."

oh i see you needed to replace more than you initially thought. The others look ok on mine although they're probably not far behind. I'm going to change the large bottom one on the rad at the same time and see if that all works when i put it back together. theres red stuff in my system. i hope its not loads of radweld or similar thats going to come out and expose loads of leaks when i flush it. :roll:

The coolant was clean from my last drain and refill until this recent leak.
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Post by tlampre »

There are 3 braided hoses behind the engine. It wasn't until I got in there that I noticed the third one. I put a jack under the engine and removed the top engine mount so that I could pull it forward a bit and that made access easier. It's definitely do-able if you have the patience. I wanted to do all three at the same time as it's something I only wanted to do once.

I'd recommend cutting the old hoses off. Slice the ends so that they peel back easily rather than trying to twist or pull at them. The plastic outlets on the heater matrix are very easy to break off and you'll have a nightmare job on your hands if that happens. Dipping the ends of the new hoses in boiling water to soften them up a bit just before installing will also help.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The guy on eBay still hs one left - I bought one yesterday after checking with him that it was the right part from the chassis number. I've got to agree that he was very helpful and arrived quickly (today!) too.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad