Spheres

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Spheres

Post by Way2go »

They've just installed some new vicious 'speed cushions' locally the low type with the sharp rise and the flat top. The BX feels these like no other so I believe the time has come to replace my spheres.

What's the experience lately on the Amtex spheres? An alternative is I.F.H.S spheres claimed to be 'original quality'. What is felt best to choose here?

One other thing, although I have lubricated the linkage on the front height corrector it seems to be sticking still and many times now I'm having to give it a boost to intermediate to get it to rise and then it settles back to correct ride height on return to normal.
What's the best way of giving the operating lever a good 'shaking' without dismantling the linkage?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

I wonder if you have "sticking strut" syndrome as I think I have. If I lower the suspension and bring back up to normal height two or three times the car will level out and all four corners are very soft to move by hand. After a day or two of driving though the front seems to creep slightly higher by about 20-30mm and no amount of pushing on the front will budge it. If I repeat the raise/lower thing everything is back to normal.

I have read on here about lubing the struts under the gaiter to help free this stiffness or suck lhm back up through the return pipes. I haven't tried that yet but hopefully will soon.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Hi amigos, I think that symptom is caused by the height corrector linkage having loose play in it due to wear. The very thing I fixed today on my front suspension. The height corrector has a ball joint on it and the linkage has a lever with 2 plates that fit around the ball - over the years these get worn and gaps appear between them. It causes the front height to creep too low or too high.

The other point of wear is where the torsional rod from the anti roll bar to the lever pivots in a brass bush in the sub frame just above the corrector unit - this can get a bit of slack and contribute to the ill effects.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Re: Spheres

Post by cauchoiskev »

Way2go wrote: An alternative is I.F.H.S spheres claimed to be 'original quality'. What is felt best to choose here?
I stuck IFHS on the front + accu about six months ago, and I have to say they ride exactly like a Citroën sphere. The only question is durability, maybe someone else has experience on that subject ? Other than that, given the price difference, IFHS is a good choice IMO.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

the Amtex spheres seem to be pretty serviceable these days......with one big warning!
Be sure to check the date on each sphere. Some people are selling these Amtex spheres (mainly on eBay) with VERY old dates!
I bought a full set from GSF about a year ago, all with very recent dates, and they are as comfortable as any genuine Cit spheres.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I have got 5 years out of the 2 Amtex on the front suspension but they are coning to the 'point' and that's been with quite light use really over the period. The original rear spheres have only just degraded and need urgent replacement now. I suppose Amtex from GSF will be the cheapest and most convenient option (and we get 10% discount don't we :wink: ) unless anyone knows different.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Well, in the absence of any new strong advice I went down the Amtex route at GSF. Had to be ordered in specially for me as they were out of stock and then the muppets sold them to someone else in the 2 hours between when they arrived and I turned up to collect! :evil: So they had to be ordered for me a second time.
Queried the date with them on the next collection occasion as stamped for January 2005 but answer was "they are fine sir, the hydraulic mechanism inside doesn't start degrading until it is initialised on the car! :o
I was in need so couldn't delay longer and they do ride very nicely compared with the removed ones! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto