Rear Suspension Locked up At Rear..

BX Tech talk
gordy

Rear Suspension Locked up At Rear..

Post by gordy »

Dear Guys and Girls,
Just been studying your forum of Citroen BX'S, why because I've got one but its been off the road since 2000 but till Sept this year was garaged.
Where is it now, well its outside my garage, 4 brick heights high and on 2 inch boards nicely positioned for being underneath when it goes up and down.
Its a TGD, diesel, Auto in white.Was the wife's car. Only done 65,000 mls.
Only big of rust is a small hole in front inner wing joint, I think a known rust area.
Well whats wrong with it you's ask, we don't want to know about you family tree.
Ok, rear suspension rose in jerks and car almost took off to reach max height. It was hard in all the height positions until I read a thread in your forum regarding this problem on someones FRONT suspension. Squirt WD40 onto the piston/struts through the holes under the gaitor.
Yes I looked at the rear suspension, prised back the piston end of the gaitor and found 2 opposite holes about 6mm. Grease squirted in these holes and it looks like it now bounces ok on one ride height but its the one above the normal ride height.
Now from looking at the forum, Maxgreenwood's "Curious Suspension Problems", I'd say that his car is going the same way as mine.
On "Jeremy's thread he mentioned about removing the struts. Is this the rods that bears on the suspension arms he's talking about or what I am interested in is he talking about the actual pressure piston with the hydro fluid on one side.
As far as I can work out this piston is sticking in the bore. Does anyone know if it can be removed, how its removed, any pictures, seal part no's, etc, etc.
Ps. Rear arms have been checked inside and are like new. Height corrector comes to bits and is as new as well. Spheres were replced on thinking this was the fault. Car was put aside for 8 years.
So any help would be appeciated to save it from the scrap man. Its got to move or else.
Thanks, Gordy...
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I'd try swapping the two rear spheres and seeing if the problem swaps sides.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Welcome Gordy,

It would be a shame to see such a low mileage BX going to scrap.

You say it bounces ok at one ride height so that would suggest the spheres are ok.

Even though the arms look new, the problem could well be the rear arm bearings.
These bearings are a very common failure on the BX.
Replacement is well documented online for example,
www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/armbearings/
and
www.mars.dti.ne.jp\~ynar\bxorg_archives\m07\m07e.html

Detailed information on the struts is available at,
http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Struts/

You can also register for free at,
http://service.citroen.com
where you can find illustrated parts lists and prices.

Some suggestions:

Remove both wheels and both spheres if you have a sphere removal tool.
Lubricate and remove the R-clips which secure the strut shafts to the arms.
You should then be able to see if it is the struts or the bearings which are seized.

Good luck !
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I wouldn't try and dismantle the rear strut in position an I don't think it'll come apart. I'd remove it and examine it on the bench and then see about taking it apart or replacing it with another one.

I can't see why it would sieze to the extent you describe unless the piston rod had bent - which would seem unlikely in the absence of abuse - for example someone jacking the car on it - which in turn would be unlikely due to its location - but I suppose there's no-one quite like a national chain tyre fitter.

Have you looked at the pipework very carefully? A kinked pipe might cause one side not to function or move jerkily.

Parts book here: (Katalog is a parts book)

http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Oh look I resurected Gordys thread 8)

There you go mate waffle away, your problem and my one is totally unrelated by the looks of things.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get the impression Gordy has more problems than 10000 internet forums could fix.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Good gracious, one post by a naive walnut and three other nut heads turn up at once.
My rear struts froze once it was so cold, but I put them in the oven with the penguins and butterflies.

Problem solved. There is a mod you can do mind. Plumb the radiator heating via the accelerator to warm your right foot and then via the haynes manual in Jeremy's bed time library that should help.

A chrome tail pipe works wonders.

xxx
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue