C pillar windows on the Mk1

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

C pillar windows on the Mk1

Post by Aerodynamica »

Ello darlings.

Like many old BXs mine has the problem with the rear c pillar windows. They have a 'sun damaged' patch in the center.

I wondered why it only affected the central part of the panel - maybe only the part that lets light through? no, there is still an undamaged clear border around it.

Mr Rutherford says it could be a sticker that the early ones had that's gone all hardened and crazed.

Does anyone know for certain why it's so concentrated to the middle?

Any tips on how to improve it? it does scrape off to a degree but the improvement is marginal.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Old plastic meets the future I suppose. Some of those 80s plastics couldn't take it!
I've got the same problem with the windows on my TRD which was garaged for most of its life and that's the only thing that's degraded.
On numerous occasions in French scrappers I have tried to remove replacements but I've never had strong enough wire to cut the glue and anyway they invariably shatter.
I keep hoping to bag a new set on Ebay one of these days. Must be loads knocking around storerooms, gradually crazing!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

My Gt is much the same, yet one is better then the other, the ones on my 16TRS although only 4 years newer are like NEW in comparison, I think they changed the plastic at sometime, only way to fix them is to replace, which is possible, I am told by a reliable source they are available new from Citroen UK, but are £60 EACH!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....