Coolant leak

BX Tech talk
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Coolant leak

Post by jwthwaites96 »

hi guy's,
this is on a 1.9D TZD, the pipe returning from the oil cooler to the radiator has a large hole in it, not a crack but a circular hole in it caused by a bolt off another part. this pipe though, does not go directly to the radiator it connects to a T junction that then goes to the rad and a thick pipe goes behind the engine. to change the pipe with the hole do i have to change the whole thing including the T junction and pipe behind engine or does it just come out of the T junction?
If it is not able to come out of the T junction what does everone think to cutting it off and getting a internal connector to connect a new pipe to the old pipe. Does anyone know where I could get one of these connectors from or how i could make one? Would have to be jubileed on as it is under radiator pressure.
If anyone has encountered this before or has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
thankyou.
J
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

For this type of situation, I usually use a couple of inches of domestic copper piping of suitable diameter :oops:
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've done the same...it may help the rubber pipe to grip if you get hold of a solder ring fitting used to join 2 pipes togther (like the one at the top of this link). Then cut one in half and solder one half to each end of the copper pipe.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Alternatively, just about any motor factor I've known keeps a collection of plastic pipe fittings from about washer-hose size up to main radiator hose size. Usually these include a straight connector in them, so you could just cut the hose at the damage and then re-join it.
this might be a signature
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote:I've done the same...it may help the rubber pipe to grip if you get hold of a solder ring fitting used to join 2 pipes togther (like the one at the top of this link). Then cut one in half and solder one half to each end of the copper pipe.
True, but probably easier, cleaner & cheaper to solder 'compression olives' just after each end of the pipe for the same benefit. (You need to use separate flux & solder after cleaning) This is then more secure because it is still all the same pipe. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Or, you could just get a new bottom hose with T piece pipe attached.
I do believe GSF still stock them Part No. N17912
I think they're about £20.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Way2go wrote:True, but probably easier, cleaner & cheaper to solder compression olives
Ah, I hadn't thought of that! But, at the moment I am too ~ale~ to even type properly so I don't care that your idea is better! :P

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mat_fenwick wrote: Ah, I hadn't thought of that! But, at the moment I am too ~ale~ to even type properly so I don't care that your idea is better! :P
Team effort mate! :D It's a case of one idea leading to another showing the benefits of forum 'discussion' . :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

they're 17.50 from gsf.

N17912 RAD HOSE BOTTOM BX DIESEL (WITH T PIECE) BOTTOM 17.50

I got one by mistake for my TD TZD, sitting here in a cupboard..
i could get a quote on postage for you?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jwthwaites96 »

PM sent to maxgreenwood,
cheers for the help