4x4 transfer box

BX Tech talk
citroen7
BXpert

4x4 transfer box

Post by citroen7 »

does anyone know if the transfer box fitted to the bx was the same as the box fitted to the pug mi16 4x4?as i have an opportunity to aquire one for reasonable money.
thanks
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

It's my understanding that each of the BX/405 transfer boxes differ. i.e. The BX non ABS is different to the 405 non ABS, and bothe are different to the BX ABS which has Torsen and that in turn is different to the Mi16 unit with Torsen...if that makes sense?

No doubt there would be some way to make it useable on the car the car though!
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

thanks jayboyi didnt realise there was non abs versions but as you say the basic box is probably the same i will see what deal i can do!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

AFAIK there's no difference in the transfer box to do with ABS or non-ABS. That difference is in the driveshafts.

The BX box is the same as the 405 GLx4 box, which is the one with a manual diff lock, and is the one vulnerable to damage. The 405 MI16x4 has a stronger (torsen equipped, no diff lock) box, which would fit in a BX as it's the same external casing, just different guts.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Has anyone done the conversion? Actually has anyone transplanted the Mi16 4x4 lot into a BX?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

so i take david that i should buy?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

As far as I can tell, yes.

Certainly from looking at a 405 GLx4 and a 405 MI16x4, the boxes seem to attach to the engine in exactly the same manner, attach to the body in exactly the same manner, have exactly the same driveshafts, and very similar (if not identical) casings.

Other than the (very minor) risk of the MI16x4 box having an extra bit on it somewhere that might foul something that is on the BX and not on the 405 shell, I can't see any reason why you couldn't fit it.

Edit: Thinking about it though..... I'd research the ABS issue a bit more. Although I have never known of any issues with 4x4 systems and ABS, there could possibly be a reason why an ABS equipped car has a different setup. I'd certainly not heard of any differences in the BX box between ABS and non-ABS though...
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

From parts lists and having talked to people before about 4x4 setups I cant see any differences between ABS and non ABS. The shafts are of course different but the box itself is the same.
Equally a Mi16 4x4 box will straight on a BX with next to no fiddling about.
Phil wrote:Has anyone done the conversion? Actually has anyone transplanted the Mi16 4x4 lot into a BX?
Not as far as I'm aware, although someone might be working on a BX Activa 16valve 4x4 after ditching the plans for a T16 (too rare and way too bloody expensive) and the 24v V6 seems to be asking alot of the box...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So is fitting an Mi16 4x4 box the way to remove the issue of fragility usually associated with the standard BX4x4? But I guess finding an Mi16 box would be the issue then!

I always fancied a BX 4x4 but couldn't face busting the box...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I did have one for sale a while back.
I ended up selling it on eBay in the end, it fetched silly money (which was very handy as we were moving house at the time :) ) So, Robin, if you can get one for a good price then go for it!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

update..
bought of the bay of fleas for 21 squid :D well pleased.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

right we have a slight hic up here in the original auction postage was £20 to uk mainland so i emailed the seller and explained that it would probably be a little more expensive to "over here" . So he sent me an invoice yesterday and he wants £50 :cry: which i think is rediculas to say the least. the guy lives in alderholt in hampshire is there any kind member of the forum that would pick it up for me and forward it for a sensible price? plus a couple of beer tokens of course :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Surely as NI is part of the UK the price should be the same? sounds like hes taking the piss to me.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

In theory Tim it should be the same and indeed parcel force do charge the one rate but most other couriers do not that is why i do not buy off the bay of fleas if postage is extra to here unless the item is ridiculesly cheap, i even got negative feed back from one dickhead because i complained!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citroen7 wrote: pick it up for me and forward it for a sensible price?
Try this network courier company that I've used in the past. They are usually cheap especially if you use say a 3 day service. They will pick up and they advertise their involvement in Ebay items!

http://24-7couriers.co.uk/

Worth a phone call. :wink:

Let us know how you get on! 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto