Rear cross member

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Rear cross member

Post by toddao »

Ok, I'm not even sure if that's what it's called - I can't find any pictures or references to it in the Haynes or on the Citroen Service website.

It's the box section piece of steel that runs along the back , almost under the rear bumper. Mine is rusted out on one end and needs to be replaced.

Luckily I've been given a complete new piece but heaven knows how to get this in. Any ideas?

I've got TÜV ( MOT) in two weeks and this will surely cause some problems.

Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Erm, do you mean the crossmember that the bumper screws into?
If so, it's a case of drilling lots of spot welds out, remove old unit, clamp new member to car, get Mr. MiG out and plug weld away!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Ah, there you are Chris! Was wondering where you were!
Thanks for the reply - that sounds like the piece indeed. My welding game is not that strong and also it's not advised in the old wooden barn where the BX lives ( bonfire night was two weeks ago). Will have to go to the father-in-law and use his rig..

How is it best to prepare the new piece before I fix it in there? i.e painting/preparation.

Cheers
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I would make sure there are no stickers on it, and paint in a 'weld through' zinc rich primer before welding. It's designed for spot welding through it, so needs to be removed from areas that you are MIG welding (otherwise it will spatter), but withstands the heat fairly well. Then afterwards go over any welds with a polyurethene sealant, followed by a waxoyl type rust preventer.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Mat. That's all understood though not looked forward to! Reckon that will take me some time..
Todd

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Get thyself a MiG mate, and go ape with it.
Welding's easy, if boring.
And on the bright side, if you weld with your shirt off, you'll get a lovely tan without the expense of going on holiday!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...