Lhm loss into thin air.

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Lhm loss into thin air.

Post by DavidRutherford »

The BX of amazing tattyness is losing LHM. Not a massive amount, but enough that it needs a top up every few months. Only thing I can't tell is where it's going.

There are no drips on the driveway, I've had it up in the air and checked all over the pipework, rear strut gaiters front strut gaiters, brake calipers, steering ram etc.etc. There's no LHM leaking from anywhere.

.. and yet still the level drops. It's most noticeable first in the steering, as (especially when cold) you can feel the air in the steering as it goes stiff and light and stiff and light again. Top up and all is fixed.

Where on earth is it going?
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Nicked by pikies?

Duno mate, that is rather odd!
It's not venting into the rear subframe or something??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

My money is on the doseur valve...IMHO if in doubt, suspect the doseur......
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Hadn;'t even considered that!
Where's a picture of a man pointing at a doseur when you need one?

OR, could it be that the LHM tank is getting fatter?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Well, if the coefficient of expansion of steel is sufficient in warm weather to suggest the malfunctions that David is suggesting then that is a possibility Sir Docness.........
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Just a thought as you can see no leaks anywhere but have dead steering when cold.
Are the lhm filters clean ? If not the flow might be a bit marginal when cold and topping up brings the level to a cleaner part of the filter masking the cause by removing the symptom.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Jaba wrote:Just a thought as you can see no leaks anywhere but have dead steering when cold.
Are the lhm filters clean ? If not the flow might be a bit marginal when cold and topping up brings the level to a cleaner part of the filter masking the cause by removing the symptom.
The level is definitely falling between top-ups. It probably needs 1/2 litre every couple of months at the moment. The level got low enough a while back that the low-fluid warn lamp came on in high. First time I've ever seen that happen.
this might be a signature
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

How's about...

Possibility #1

Nitrogen loss from spheres, on the basis that nitrogen escaping through a porous diaphragm is the only "lossless" possibility. Gas returns through system, vents through tank breathers, compressionless lhm has to make up the volume lost. Cause of the copiously-piddling-sphere-syndrome when swapping for a new one. However as the largest possible spheres are 500cc capacity this doesn't seem possible with a 1/2 litre difference over 2 months. And there's the small matter of loss of ride comfort that'd hopefully be noticeable.

Possiblility #2

Some serious "slow" leakback that's causing a return pipe subsystem to be full of lhm where previously it just held air. Again, just a bit iffy if it's a question of 1/2l per 2 months.

Possibility #3

How much leakback is there from the rear syspension cylinders? there's potential for leakback here and in the worst cases for the boots to start to fill, despite the return and air vents on the way. Short of octopus subsections these are the only thing anywhere near the return pipes that have any appreciable volume.

Possibility #4

One of those pesky leaks in the return pipery that tends to very gently spray/drip directly to the road or onto the underside of the car. Not very obvious unless you're under the relevant section, possibly with the engine running.

Possibility #5

Little green lhm gremlins greedily drinking from a t-piece tapped into the return pipe system.....?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

I just want to add that I had a very small leak in the front suspension return pipes that only showed up at MOT testing. :lol:

As the car parks on the driveway, I never saw a single drop but I had to top-up some LHM about every six month.

It started only leaking when the MOT guy applied those hydraulic jacks under the car to test steering and ball-joints.

So, possibility #4 from the former posting is quite possible.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Disapearing LHM

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello David into the rear subframe sounds good but how about a small leak from the steering pinion into the rack so that you have a very well lubed rack?
All the best.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Re: Disapearing LHM

Post by mnde »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:a very well lubed rack?.
Err...

no I won't even go there... :wink:

Umm... Is it possible that LHM is dripping onto somewhere hot (e.g. exhaust manifold) and evaporating, hence no evidence?

Mark.
AndersDK
BXpert

Re: Lhm loss into thin air.

Post by AndersDK »

DavidRutherford wrote: There's no LHM leaking from anywhere.
Try the cardboard under car test over a weekend.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

mine was dodgy pipe or seal, it was spraying a very fine mist of LHM at the joint, i replaced pipe and seal.
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Re: Lhm loss into thin air.

Post by Slagtrooper »

I don't know if i'm doing "pseudo-science", but the PAS vent have its tube ok? Because mine hasn't yet and i thought about that:

Car stopped, little diameter: Opened, but not enough to drip.
Car running, little diameter: Opened, but with wind drag pulling the oil.

Something like that is possible?
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???