Where have all the gears gone?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Where have all the gears gone?

Post by toddao »

Went out shopping today, collected the newly skimmed head for the TRD, dropped the wife and kid at home, then as I went to pull away the gear stick went sloppy.

Now I can't engage first, second or reverse - there's nothing there at all as though they don't exist, just third and upwards. Has the selector spring broken or what?

Any ideas what's happened anyone? And what's the grade of dirty hands for this one? Thanks
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Could this also happen if one of the linkages 'popped off?' Too late to check tonight..
Todd

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yup!
They think it's all over, it is now!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Indeed, without doubt the linkage from the quadrant to the lower selector has dropped off, probably at the gearbox end.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well, it was the linkage at the gear box. Right under the pump mounting of course so had to take a few bits of furniture out. The lever that actually goes into the gearbox had somehow dropped into the gearbox about a centimetre and thus dis-engaged and I realised that there was a clip of some sorts missing to prevent this happening. Rummaged around and found something suitable - the old one must have broken (?)
Put it all back together, went for a test drive to thaw out and visit the retired Citroen mechanic who's about to scrap a BX16 with a dead engine and says I can take what I want.Trying to think what parts I can take quickly without freezing to death ( it's half buried in snow).
Anyway, I'm back on the road. :D
Todd

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:had to take a few bits of furniture out.
You've not resorted to squeezing in another armchair under the bonnet have you? :? :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad