Wiring looms

BX Tech talk
peterbot
Confirmed BX'er

Wiring looms

Post by peterbot »

Anyone happen to know if the same year bx 16 meteor and 19gti would use the same wiring looms? The gti is a scrapper and I wondered if I could transfer some of the electric goodies to the meteor,such as electric rear windows,electric mirrors,remote locking etc . Or does this mean stripping the inside of the car to get at the wires. Anyone ever tried anything like this?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

When the air/con was retro fitted to my sons series one 16V we had access to a loom from a series two (with air/con) so as to fit the missing wires.
It ended up with the seats and dash out as well as the wiring to the compressor, second fan to the radiator area, second fan under bonnet for interior circulation, wires to controls and switches all lying spread out on the garage floor alongside the car as a million other wires were each systamatically marked and disconnected..................not for the faint hearted I assure you. :shock: :roll:

Alan S :twisted:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Sorry but different looms, all the bit and pieces will fit but you'll find a certain lack of wiring. Wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to transfer. Lots of good fun and experiance, you'll certainly know your car a lot better afterwards.
They think it's all over, it is now!
peterbot
Confirmed BX'er

Post by peterbot »

Thanks guys,at least I know what I'm up against. Book of swear words on standby I think :)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I personally think the wiring system on the BX is EXCELLENT!

Basically if you look in the haynes, it appears as though each system is totally individual from the rest (bar the +ve and GND feeds), and fortunately for us, the wires are exactly the same!

The accessory looms are swappable bewteen the two cars with very little effort, then giving you plug for all the extra electrical thingies! So you can just swap the looms over. But if your not upto the challenge then you can take individual sub systems off and add them to your car. It took me less than a day to add rear electric windows to my old car, and it was pretty easy TBH. I reckon though if youwanted you could swap the whole loom and all the bits between two people in one weekend! There really isnt too much to it, bt you do have to remove the loom intact which means taking most of the interior out (which only take a weekend anyways!).

Personal choice, but i'd wait till the summer and spend a long weeeknd swapping the lot over, but then im crazy!

Off to rewire a Landy 110 now :(
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The wiring diagrams in the BOL are chinese algebra to me Vanny :) I dont know how you do it.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Well you first have to realise that there is no specific colour code. Brown is often ground and yellow is quite often +ve feed. However purple can be both main feed and -ve but perhaps more importantly green can be just about anything including a comminication line to the devil himself! Its just knowing which is which?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

FWIW, I did hear the story about a guy over there who had a panel shop and was a bit of a wheeler, dealer and wrecker who decided to do a "cut and shut" on a couple of CX Turbos.
When they did the cuts, they decided in their wisdom to cut the wiring harness at the same time so when they glued it back together, "all" they had to do was get matching wires and connect like to like and all would be sorted. When it reached that stage, nothing seemed to match, so they had to do a full rewire because purple went to green, red went to yellow (an exagerrated description, but you no doubts get my drift) :shock: :oops: :roll: :cry:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.