How to tow a crippled BX?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

How to tow a crippled BX?

Post by toddao »

I might be taking on another Mk.1 TRD as a parts donor. Another Grandad BX - 31000 miles - ready to be sacrificed for the happiness of the others.

It runs but the system doesn't pressurise so somehow it's got to be pulled onto the trailer from its lowdown position. I know this has been done before but how?

Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I had my GSA recovered once with complete hydraulic failure.

The guy skilfully used wooden blocks/boards just next to the bottom of the ramp to provide enough clearance for the sump, underbody and exhaust system as he winched the car gently up the ramp onto the truck. Same at the top of the ramp to avoid catching the underside there. A stage by stage process, moving the blocks & boards as necessary.

Good luck!

Mark.
M

Post by M »

Im sure there was a thread on the old Andyspares forum once about someone recovering an XM after total LHM failiure (sorry cant spell Hydraulic) using wooden blocks to wedge susension components after the car had been jacked up. Not sure how safe or viable that would be with a BX. Not something I would personally like to try. Perhaps someone has experience?
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

vanny and billys game is strong in this department if you look for the thread on my 4x4s journey it should give you some pointers
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: How to tow a crippled BX?

Post by Tim Leech »

I need a few Mk1 bits todd so if it is a definate breaker I can possibly send you some euros!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just got to find a suitable tow vehicle now.

Tim, no matter how good it is, it will have to be broken as there's no space to store yet another 'restoration project'! What bits do you need?
Todd

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Get breakdown cover.

Push car up the road.

Ring breakdown cover people.

Wait.

Life is dishonest and unfair. Theres no god. It's all lies.

They get decent call-out bonus' too 8)

Try to blag the lack of tax/MOT/insurance/moss on car issue. Offer them some pie :idea:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

M wrote:Im sure there was a thread on the old Andyspares forum once about someone recovering an XM after total LHM failiure (sorry cant spell Hydraulic) using wooden blocks to wedge susension components after the car had been jacked up.
This is possible only on a CX, and maybe on a GS. Impossible on anything with McPherson front struts.
this might be a signature
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch wrote:
Life is dishonest and unfair. Theres no god. It's all lies.

Amen bro!

Todd, if it's just a spares car, just drag the bugger up, if something gets damaged, so what?!

It's possible to get a dead BX on a trailor without damage if you're careful, I've done it loads of times.
As said above, plenty of wood for taking the angle out of the ramp and away yer go!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:Just got to find a suitable tow vehicle now.
Has your van got a towbar? Legally that would easily be able to tow 2 tons of BX and trailer, although I wouldn't imagine that you'll be overtaking much...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. Just got to find a suitable tow vehicle now.

Tim, no matter how good it is, it will have to be broken as there's no space to store yet another 'restoration project'! What bits do you need?
I need the small blank that goes in the dash where a choke cable would be, plus the suport bracket that clamps to the battery tray that holds the air filter up, if its the same on diesel that is.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Todd, is this a breaker? shame. But if it is what condition are the tinted plastic C pillar windows?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Actually you can keep the rear suspension permanently on high on a dead BX.
How ?
Get a broom handle or similar. Cut a length of 32cm (I think). Jack up and remove a sphere and shove the wood into the suspension cylinder. Refit the sphere and this will do the job of the hydraulics.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!

Mat, I would tow it with my van but it's been de-registered until next Spring to save money as we never use it in Winter..

The father-in-law however has got a Merc 609D van that would do the job nicely. Problem is, he already thinks I've got too many BXs, though catch him in the right moment and I reckon he might be up for the caper or lend me the thing?

Anyway, the guy with the TRD wants it away so I've got to decide and act by next weekend. Two hour journey each way but then it's a complete parts bin.

Ah, yes one more thing - slight technical hitch with the wife. Maybe I'll be asking how to convert a BX into a bender/fall out shelter. I managed to get number three in under the radar but she really doesn't get it, what with the new kid etc. How to tow a crippled BX enthusiast?? :shock:

Watch this space..
Todd

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

toddao wrote:Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!

You're welcome
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)