Pressure question

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Pressure question

Post by Kitch »

If de-pressurise the system and I remove the accm sphere, can this be done with the car still on high or does it need the sphere on to stay up? Because if I let the pressure off on the reg, the car still doesn't sink.

Cheers
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Erm no... I'm not sure of the consequences of removing an accumulator while on high... but just thinking of the pressures involved... :o

Why do you want the car on high?

Surely the only way to completely depressurise the system is to put the lever to "low". Is similar on a GSA, if you just crack open the pressure reg screw, the car won't drop - you also have to open a safety valve nut.

Mark.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Only reason I ask is that I've got to remove the sump again today, and to do that I have to remove the accm sphere as there is a bolt behind it. If I drop the car it makes access really tight under the car, so was just trying to make it easy. I didn't know if there was a valve or something that would keep the car up, or if the car relies on pressure to stay up, in which case I'd have to drop it.

M

Post by M »

For the love of BOB....

Never ever ever go under a HP Citroen without axel stands or ramps or a jack - Axel stands being the minimum really as even a jack isnt the most reliable thing.

If the system depressurises suddenly the car will drop and crush anything underneath (as demonstrated with a full 2.5L tin of bitmin on my driveway - totally flat. And it will drop like a stone.

People have died this way in the past.

Axel stands - £9.99 from Halfrauds - what price is your life / health?

If you have to remove the sphere you will have to depresurise the system - set the car in to low an loosen the bleed valve by the accumilator - but dont loose the ballbearing. I would jack the car up & position on axel stands before you do this myself.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Oh no I'm doing it on drive-up ramps. Give me some credit! :lol:

But access is tight still. Anyways I'll just open the valve and drop the suspension like I did last time.

M

Post by M »

Kitch wrote:Oh no I'm doing it on drive-up ramps. Give me some credit! :lol:
Sorry - didnt mean to come over all heavy - just had this image of putting car on high then crawling under it to remove Acc Sphere..... :?
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Marty wrote:
Kitch wrote:Oh no I'm doing it on drive-up ramps. Give me some credit! :lol:
Sorry - didnt mean to come over all heavy - just had this image of putting car on high then crawling under it to remove Acc Sphere..... :?
#

Hahaha! I think I'd sooner stick my head in a beehive than do that!

But yeah I got what you meant!

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

if im not going totally mad, isnt there only two long thin bolts holding the the accumulator reciever onto the engine? Couldn't you just take them off, giving you play in the whole still sealed unit, then lift it out the way to get to the sump bolt?

I have a feeling that if you try keeping it up high with the accumulator sphere on you'll end up in a big puddle of blood! (the cars rather than your own!)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If the car is in the high position the height corrector valves are open and the suspension is connected to the safety valve. If the suspension is in normal or the slightly higher position (if it does anything) the valves will be shut initially but will open as the suspension sinks, so it will stay up initially but then crash downwhen its sunk a tad.

The safety valve isolates the back from the regulator when there is insufficient pressure available in the accumulator but I think is always open for the front suspension and the brakes.

So the answer to your question is NO.

jeremy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I use a quarter inch drive socket set and can remove the sump without taking anything else off.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:I use a quarter inch drive socket set and can remove the sump without taking anything else off.
Stewart
You wouldn't be able to on a 16v.

AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Kitch,

Have you managed to get this sphere off yet? I've never had to resort to this yet and our cars have air/con which limits space (alloy sump and much more plumbing in the road) and due to the location, I couldn't imagine rust being an issue as with other spheres.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Yeah very straightforward to remove. I used an oil filter tool the first couple of times. For some reason the third time it was really tight. Had to resort to hammer and chisel, but it came off ok.
Its usually caked in oil down there, so no rear wheel sphere situation to worry over :D