Thermostat housing issues

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Thermostat housing issues

Post by toddao »

As I've just done the head gasket on the TRD I'm now overhauling the cooling system to make sure there's no repeats.

I wanted to test the thermostat but trying to access it, the heads of two of the bolts holding the cover sheared off - completely rusted in.
I took the whole thing off, put it in a vice and tried to drill out the bolts. I made a right pigs ear of this. I've got a stand for the drill but it was too awkward to line up and the drill wandered into the alu casing.. oops. I just don't have the technology.

What would be the correct way to remove these bolts? Pillar drill? Would I then have to use a tap to make new threads?

Seems the cover is still available from Citroen ( heaven knows how much?) but I want to try to reclaim the other part of the housing - the outlet tank - so I need to get the bolts out still which have been there since 1985!

I'm racing to get to the TÜV ( MOT) next week and it's pretty uphill we're heavy under snow so it's f-f-f-f-f-f-r-r-rr-eezing in the barn and the wife's getting anxious that we won't have a car once the yellow one goes off the road.. v.soon.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

There's no right way to do this, although my preferred method is:

Drill out the old bolts as best you can. This can be very difficult, and I often find the best thing to do is to drill from both sides, trying to line up as best you can.

Drill the holes in the casing out to 8mm diameter, and the backing bit to 6.8mm. Now tap an M8 thread in the backing, and use M8 bolts to hold the cover on. Use far too much coppergrease in the vain hope that it might come apart again in the future.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

^^^What he said, but I would suggest using high tensile bolts (stamped with 12.8 or 8.8 on the head), that will hopefully resist snapping in the future. Mind you, it's going to take more torque to shear off an M8 bolt anyway...
Also, if you can, it might be worth trying to mark the centre of the sheared off bolt with a punch, that way the drill stands more chance of starting off in the centre.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Which type of casing is it?
They think it's all over, it is now!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

My car also has the early type thermostat housing, and the extended warm up and poor heater does suggest a stuck thermostat, which the temperature gauge I am shortly to fit will likely confirm.

Given that replacing the 'stat usually involves shearing the housing bolts, I had thought that if (when) this happens in my case, I would get a housing from a later XUD engine and retrofit that (the one with the plastic top hose outlet and integral diesel filter).

I'm sure others will comment on the wisdom or otherwise of this plan, and should there be no obstacles this may be an easy and quick solution.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for replies everyone. Ken wrote
Which type of casing is it?
I don't know - just the early 1.9 D type? I'm going to see Herr Wolf at the Citroen/Ferrari dealer now to see what he can find there in the storeroom before I start making even bigger holes. He's got a few things lying about. Will update later.
Todd

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I had to do those on my DTR Turbo some years ago. I think 2 bolts came out and 2 sheared - I was able to drill them in situ and think I was able to replace with M6 nuts and bolts as the holes went through and I could fit a nut on the back.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

How come they always sheer off? is it just corrosion over time?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

MULLEY wrote:How come they always sheer off? is it just corrosion over time?
Exactly that, particularly as the bolts go through the waterway (AFAIR) and so if coolant is neglected they rot, particularly the lower two bolts.

The later cars with the plastic diesel filter on top of the thermostat housing don't seem to suffer this, as they have a different set up where the coolant cannot contact the bolts which retain the (now plastic) combined top hose outlet/thermostat cover.

(I have no idea what the set up on the petrol cars is like).
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I managed to get the cover, so I'm hoping that I can drill out the bolts on the tank now. Though judging by the state of the cover ones, the holes won't be easy, and they'll be larger than the 7mm bolts that go through the cover..

Jeremy, you did very well to drill them out cleanly, let alone in situ. Maybe the bit that I'm using isn't hard enough?

I found out while I was by Citroen this morning ( the parts store was full of recently arrived wooden crates from Crewe.. ) that the necessary thermostat will be discontinued in Germany after tomorrow! Having said that, there wasn't one available. Very kindly they phoned round and found one in the extreme north of Germany, in Flensburg, on the North Sea coast ( about as far away as you can go from here) which will be here on Monday.
Todd

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Ah yes the thermostat - my local Citroen dealer was quoting me £14 or so for what seemed to be the gasket alone so I went to my friendly accessory shop to see if he could help - and he had one on the shelf! (the huge one).

Wanted one for a 1600 1951 Land Rover - same shop - guy reeled off the no and got it off the shelf!

The shop supplies Quinton Hazell bits which seem OK. QH catalogues can be downloaded here:

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues.asp
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Sounds as though you've got a good local shop there Jeremy!

But today, after they had gone to so much trouble phoning various Citroen dealerships I decided to order it for €22 which is not bad considering that it's travelling over a thousand kms to be here!

I have now been given the contact to a very good Citroen parts service here in Germany that sells generic parts and is run by enthusiastic people. They sell a water pump for €35 as opposed to Citroen's €120!

Another question re the thermostat housing - is that silicon or what that seals in the fast idle sensor? I've got to seal it into the new cover
Todd

jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

toddao wrote: Another question re the thermostat housing - is that silicon or what that seals in the fast idle sensor? I've got to seal it into the new cover
IIRC there would originally have been a copper washer 'twixt the sensor and the housing; perhaps this has been supplemented with silicone, or perhaps it has been lost. If it does still exist, I would soften it by heating it with a gas torch/the ring on my cooker and dropping it into cold water, then refit it sans silicone.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think its a copper washer. I think when I replaced the DTR Turbo one many years ago there was a rubber type 'O' ring on the one I removed.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Even if you have either a copper washer or a rubber O-ring, some PTFE tape on the threads would be a worthwile precaution against leaks. I did this on one that leaked like a sieve, and it never leaked again.
this might be a signature