Ignition switch - any experts ?

BX Tech talk
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Ignition switch - any experts ?

Post by Jaba »

My ignition switch has developed a fault. The return spring for the starter position no longer works. The switch simply moves to the start position with no resistance and has to be moved back manually to the ignition on posn.

I suppose the spring has broken or more likely the plastic bit it hooks into has broken off.

My plan was to buy a new switch and swap over the internal key barrel or any other bits so I could continue to use the existing ignition key.

Well, the new switch has arrived and it is the later type of key not the flat key.

Anyone know if the internal key barrel and/or the spring return mechanism is likely to be interchangeable between these two different types of switch assembly ?

Also I note that instead of a single cylindrical retaining pin in the steering column housing it has a different arrangement of a sort of rocker bracket that may or may not fit the housing on my 91 BX. Anyone done this upgrade as well to let me know if this will actually fit ?

A few questions here - hope some kind BXClubber has some bxperience of what I am on about.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I had this problem with the ZX - which is very similar. There are in fact 2 makes - the lock and key with the spine is a Valeo and the flat key one is entirely different. I had a spare BX one which I dismantled - hoping I could keep the barrel but decided I couldn't.

To change read Haynes carefully - you have to get the existing key in the right position for the lock to release and come out. The bracket on the car will have fixings for the Valeo lock as well - fit it so the bolt goes in line with its hole (which may not be in the same position as the one you removed) - and you'll have to fiddle with the key to get the catches to release as the position may be different to the existing one but the principle is the same.

Quite easy once you realise that the new one goes in at a different angle - which took me a while to work out!
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

we get the same problem with Citroen Dyanes :)

i think that i might have the top half of a Bx steering column with lock somewhere that uses the earlier flat key from a car that i broke a little while back

send me a PM & i'll have a look for it
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thanks for the info guys. My new switch is indeed a Valeo.
Seems I will have to either put up with having separate keys for ignition and doors or cannibalise the broken parts from another used switch.
Any luck yet classic2cv with finding your old switch ??

Has anyone else got an old switch perhaps (Mk 2 flat key type)??? I don't need a key though. I will pay as well.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Are you sure you want to use an old switch? - they're well known for failing and causing problems.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Jaba wrote: Seems I will have to either put up with having separate keys for ignition and doors or cannibalise the broken parts from another used switch.
Or obtain & fit the central locking bits from a scrapper. Although still carrying the door key, you wouldn't have to use it except in case of failure.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

hi again Jaba still looking for the switch

it's in the shed somewhere

Way2go has a point

my car has the later type door locks fitted (the igintion petrol flap & glovebox have the same key)

i was given the central locking bits so i don't have to the door key

but i wouldn't have to use it except in case of failure :)
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>