TRD problems

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

citrojim wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:I have it on good authority that is was a year or two of manufacturing around 1990 using some dodgy steel.
Todd,

I'll withdraw my statement in light of information from Mr. Bandit.
Well you're right that it's unlikely!!!! I replaced the head gasket (like Toddao) with no improvement. I replaced the head and to my dismay the symptoms remained :cry:

Hopefully, and I think also that Toddao's TRD is an earlier model and AFAIK block problems were not typical.

Toddao, there has been alot of information. Try to take it logically and methodically and you'll get there in the end! Difficult I know with a little one and TUV around the corner. It's only an engine and can be replaced easily. If you can do a head you can swap an engine no bother! Take a wee break if you can and muscle up for the next chapter - whatever happens it'll be easier than you think!!!

Hopefully, a good system bleed tomorrow will have you sorted! :wink:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Jonathan wrote
have you done the timing belt and water pump on this car?
I bought a new belt but forgot the pump. Yes, I considered a dodgy water pump. Some things I forgot,some things broke, then I had to wait 2-3 days for them to arrive. Just today as I was refitting the thermostat housing I noticed that one of the hoses under it was perished. Off to the scrapyard to rummage through their hose bin where I got lucky with one I could modify

Time has run out now. I was going to go through the TÜV first then after the Christmas palavar do the belt and pump straight away.

The only time I've seen the 'STOP' sign before was when the LHM was low. The other warning lights I'm familiar with.

Once again thanks for all the replies..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Bandit, just saw what you wrote - cheers mate! You've been there before too. It's 1985 by the way. Yes, I'll sort it out. Think what I need really is a good sit in the pub with you friendly fellows! :-reindeer
Todd

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

It's 1985??? :shock: Shit, I'm stuck in ashes to ashes! Give me a quattro - or preferably Keeley Hawes! MMMmmmm

1990 BX TGD White
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Keeley Hawes? Who is that? Good 80s design! :D
Todd

toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well, I looked her up on Wikepedia - you can tell that I don't live in the U of K or watch TV. She's a star!! And a fit one too. Maybe she'll help out with my possible pourous head?

P.S Bandit, she would have been 11 in 1985!
Todd

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

toddao wrote: P.S Bandit, she would have been 11 in 1985!
Ah but, no but, because it was a recently made program that has been set as a period piece in mid 1980's. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I can't offer any more technical advice above what's already been printed, but just wanted to wish you best of luck. It'll be one of those things that you can sit down and laugh about over a beer or 3 in the summer, but feels like an absolute shitter right now.
Almost a year ago I spent a good few evenings changing the HG for a mate after it had been diagnosed as failing - and certainly the symptons were there - only to have the same problem a week later. Turned out that the engine had a history of HG replacement, but I could see no sign of a problem on the old gasket. Ended up swapping the engine, which probably took less time.
I see you don't want to do that this time and I can understand why not. At least you have found damage to the old gasket so sounds like you are on the right lines. Good luck mate!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

toddao wrote:Well, I looked her up on Wikepedia - you can tell that I don't live in the U of K or watch TV. She's a star!! And a fit one too. Maybe she'll help out with my possible pourous head?
Alas I've ruined her for other men mate!

Ok, MANY possibilities here, most of which have been aired here already.

Porus blocks were an issue from June 1989 to the end of 1991, but only the 1.9 N/A. It was always the side of no.1 cylinder facing the flywheel that failed, everytime. I'm losing count of the number of these I've seen.

If it's any consolation I did 3 HG's in a weekend on my old 19N/A using two heads and had exactley the same issues as yourself.
This was engine number 2 after the original block went porus :roll: .
Anyhow, it turned out the rad was fucked. The rad was new, well, 6 months ish old..
I never checked it as I just didn't expect it to be screwed but it was.
It got hot all round the edges, but the centre of the core was stone cold...blocked solid. I lost count of the number times I kicked the car and swore at it that weekend...
Although i did get the time to remove the head down to 27 minutes..

Being an early diesel I'm not sure you'll have the bypass hose from the front of the head but as said above it's worth checking all the hoses.
Also as said above, the N/A's, and some TD's can be utter bastards to bleed properly.
The funnel works ok, but much better to pressurise the system, either with a proper tool, or a rad cap with a hole drilled in the centre and wham an air line through it, or if you're lacking in compressed air, rig up an air line that you can connect to a tyre ona rim with some pressure in it.

The only other thing not mentioned is the diesel heater that lives down the back of the engine. The bottom hose attaches to it.
They can and do go porus, mainly cos they're made from that well known muchos cheap material Crapite, similar to Cheeseium, but more crap.
Again on teh old 19n/A that once adorned my TD the bloody thing went porus and gave the same symptoms, didn't do anything for starting the thing either...

Anyhow, good luck mate, and keep yer chin up.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The Doc's excellent post would seem to indicate that the dreaded porosity is a singularly oval port engine affliction, so providing your car has its original square port engine, this can perhaps be ruled out. Further, I seem to remember that the square port engines did not have the water to diesel heater described as above, instead having an electrical in-line heater fitted visible 'twixt the cambelt cover and the bulkhead; hopefully these are two possibilities you can rule out ;-)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

docchevron1472 wrote:
toddao wrote:Well, I looked her up on Wikepedia - you can tell that I don't live in the U of K or watch TV. She's a star!! And a fit one too. Maybe she'll help out with my possible pourous head?
Alas I've ruined her for other men mate!

Ok, MANY possibilities here, most of which have been aired here already.

Porus blocks were an issue from June 1989 to the end of 1991, but only the 1.9 N/A. It was always the side of no.1 cylinder facing the flywheel that failed, everytime. I'm losing count of the number of these I've seen.
But mine was a 1.7 TD - honest guv. My rad was blocked too - exactly as Doc describes - which is why the damn thing failed in the first place.

As W2G says Toddao, Keeley was in a period TV series set in the 1980's. Hence the Quattro and other 80s cars being featured. Kelley is lurvely tho', a sassy minx! That show was called Ashes to Ashes and was a follow on from Life On Mars wihich was similar but set in 70's (and without Keeley)!

Anyways, good luck!
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

BX Bandit wrote: But mine was a 1.7 TD - honest guv. My rad was blocked too - exactly as Doc describes - which is why the damn thing failed in the first place.
Then you were HUGELY unlucky mate.
I've never seen a 17 block go porus, or heard of one... Until now.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I went to the barn today, intent on trying to bleed the thing. But the water just wouldn't go down. I spent quite a while trying to bleed it - some air did come out by the thermostat. When I ran the engine, the heater wasn't working either - must be the water pump buggered I thought. Warning light still on

F - it! I thought, I'm not going to waste those red plates ( I've got them til Friday), I'll take the 16v for a spin. It hasn't been on the road for a year, hasn't had TÜV for four years!

Managed to jump it off the yellow one, fixed the plates on and zoomed off to the car wash to remove some of the moss.

Had some business down near the Rhine on the Swiss border so took a long scenic route through the snow covered hills, loving the growl and grunt of that engine, winding round the curves.
On the way back picked up the wife & kid from shopping and came back on the autobahn. One of the front wheels needs balancing (or is about to fall off!) so couldn't rack it up all the way but had a good old burn!

Just took it back to the barn and thought I'd check on the TRD. Water had gone down, so I topped it up and started it. Let it warm up, then the heater started warming up and.. water wasn't blowing out of the rad. ( all you 'bleeders' were right!!)

Still the warning light is on.. what if the LHM is low?? Yes, the LHM was low. Topped it up - warning light goes off. :shock:

Idles fine, the Catalyser I fitted last week doesn't blow, don't know about the fans yet as I didn't want to asfixiate myself in the barn waiting for them to come on.

And it's TÜV tomorrow afternoon! I was going to take the 16v instead to see if it would pass ( unlikely) or the yellow knowing it would fail but find out what was needed and buy myself an extra month to fix it - and thus at least have wheels. Now I'll be taking the silver one hopefully which I've never driven on the road!

Not a bad day really. Let's see what tomorrow brings.. I might allow myself a beers tonight, though I don't want to count my chickens just yet. Once again comrades - fanks for keeping me going! :D
Todd

jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thats splendid news Todd, really glad it seems to be playing ball and best of luck for the TUV!

Oh, and we want pics, of the TRD *and* the valver..
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Jonathan. I took the camera today to get some pics but the sun got swallowed up by cloud in the hills - very moody and dramatic and I was too busy, thinking, thinking about what could be done with my three heaps. I'll try tomorrow.. there's some good spots around here and with the snow too. Hopefully I'll have something road legal-ish to photograph!
Todd