TRD problems

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Excellent news Toddao! You must be super chuffed! I think you should allow yourself many beers!!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Cheers Bandit! Just topped up the system with a couple of these - the local Xmas special. Got a bit to do before I present myself and wheels before the Oberinspektor tomorrow arvo!

Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Splendid news!
Well done mate!
Keep a check on the coolant level for a while, it's not unknown for XUD's to take a little while to settle down after a HG change.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hoorah! Well done Todd! :D
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well, today was TÜV day. Full of snow.

Bad news is that it failed, good news is that I'll be back there first thing tomorrow with everything sorted.

Failed on :1. Non working driver's window.
2. Both headlight adjusters broken and thus lights out of alignment.
3. I didn't have the TÜV certificate with me to go with the alloys to prove they're suitable for this car!! ( I don't know what you lot will think of them - they're BW Francor Champs c.1998 and are shod with winter tyres)

The inspector was very nice and knew BXs. He said it was a sound car - good mechanically : brakes, body, emissions, suspension etc .

I came back and took the headlights off the yellow one which now sits there 'eye-less' in the barn.
The electric window was a bit of a palavar. The things has two 'runners' that are bonded to the window glass with double sided tape! (??) One had come adrift. Luckily I had some heavy duty tape and now it works..

Here she is at the TÜV. I left the louvre at home!

( I'm going to post todays 16v pics in The Gallery, rather than ruin the majesty of this scene!)

Last edited by toddao on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd

citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

just goes to show different countries different rules i have never had the windows tested car looks well toddo wheels look a ok :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fantastic pic, Todd! Love the wheels.Good luck tomorrow. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

docchevron1472 wrote: it's not unknown for XUD's to take a little while to settle down after a HG change.
This is very true, and not only for XUD's.

Four different engines now I've changed a head gasket on, and on the first journey out, despite being very well bled indeed, the engine has overheated and blown some coolant out. Filled back up and bled, and all is well (for thousands and thousands of miles)
this might be a signature
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

That is an amazing picture Toddao!! What a motor that is! It looks like a brochure photograph (although no car manufacturer would have an ad piccy of one on a ramp! :lol: ) Truly stunning mate. For once, after market alloys that kinda suit as well - although speedlines really are FTW you understand! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Am liking that 'alot' mate!!!
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Bloody nice looking ramp!
Inspection lights and everyfink! Me want!

Stunning photo dude, really stunning, nice wheels too, but as per El Bandito, Speedlines FTW!
I'm glad I dont live in Germany! they even check the windows?! How bizarre!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Those wheels look ace and really make the car look more modern, Im surprised you managed to get them on a Mk1, what size are the wheels/tyres?

The germans are alot stricter on the TUV than us brits on the MOT it seems.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Is there a chance we could see that BX on the BXagon? I only ask because a) it would be great to have you taking part, and b) because when it comes to doing the photo album and calendar, your photography talent would come in handy!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for that fellas. The photo was a fluke - it was just sat there looking like that and I pointed the camera at it.

The wheels are 14J and are suitable for 165/70s ( which is what I've got), 185s/195s. I originally got them for the 16v but they were lying around and I needed winter tyres on something.. they were made by the same people who made the 'Swift 2s' that I had on the yellow one.

Was a right headache by the TÜV today with them. They inspected them for half hour - though the condition is perfect- with a dental mirror looking from the outside inspecting every spoke! Then decided they weren't legal til I showed them that the 'papers' that came with the wheels definately showed they were suitable for the BX. An arguement followed which ended with them getting egg on their face when they realised they were wrong. I then had to pay €38 for the honour of them being 'legal' and thus get their model name printed on the car papers. What a farce! I should have fitted the winter tyres on the normal steelies and put the alloys on at home!

So, after that, they were nice as could be. Everything else was in order ( though the window goes up and down it's a bit wonky!), I get the papers. Then it's a ten minute drive to the next office to hang about for an hour, present a huge pile of certificates then finally get the number plates and two years road worthiness and pay aload more wonga!

The title of the post was 'TRD problems' - here ends the problems. For this week anyway! :D ( see The Gallery for the non-problematic news!)

Once again, thanks comrades for the support when it was looking like scrap metal!
Todd

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Talk about bureaucracy jeeez! Still, glad it's all done now mate!
1990 BX TGD White
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Well done on your perseverance Tod, superb motor. Sounds like the TUV is designed to try & get rid of older motors off the road by making anything that should move which doesnt an expensive fail for the owner.....

Never heard of having to prove that those alloys are specific for tha vehicle, absolutly bonkers, well done :D
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.