Leaking diesel injector?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Leaking diesel injector?

Post by toddao »

Saw a nice little wet patch under the TRD today and it's diesel that appears to be coming from one of the injectors. I couldn't actually see it leaking but it was wet around the thing. Anyone had any experience with anything similar?

Do they leak sometimes or should I be inspecting the diesel return pipe a bit more closely as I reckon that the injector is pretty tight in there.

I don't really have anytime to fiddle as we're going off for our Xmas visits tomorrow.. everyone gets a nice little diesel stain outside their house as a gift!

Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Todd,

More than likely a leakoff pipe has thwn in the towel. Leakoffs are the little black pipes daisy-chained between injectors and they get hard and brittle with age. In the Uk they come as kits with anker new end-blanker. Strangely, they seem to go on for ages and then one day, they give up. Often after a small disturbance. The TUV man may have induced the failure by checkling them, which I'm sure they did!

It's very rare for one of the metal high pressure pipes to leak as it is the injectors themselves.

Take a little care. If one of the metal pipes is fractured, diesel will be spraying out at incredibly high pressure and can hyperdermically inject itself into you; that is not good.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks Jim - King of Diesel! I was very impressed by the picture of your bench by the way in some post with your injector pump collection! Pump it up!
I was just looking those little black pipes thinking that they might be the issue..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's also not unknown for the injector bodies to leak either.
More rare, nut it does happen.

However given the age of the car and all, I'd go with the jim meister on this one.
You'll be wanting to attend to it before travelling too far, even the return pipes carry some pressure, and it'll seriousley eat into the economy.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...