TZD fails to proceed

BX Tech talk
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Sorted

Post by tlampre »

:D :D :D

Finally, something goes right. I had my multimeter in with my stuff and there was no voltage at the solenoid. I hot-wired it and was pleased to hear it click as I connected the power. The car has an immobiliser so maybe that is playing up. It's hooked up direct to the battery now via a bullet connector so I can shut the engine off by unplugging it. That will do until I get back to Melbourne.

On the subject of auto's, I'd much prefer that to a manual but don't think I can be bothered doing a conversion.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Excellent, delighted you're mobile again :D
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Sorted

Post by DavidRutherford »

tlampre wrote:On the subject of auto's, I'd much prefer that to a manual
Really?

Worse fuel economy, lower performance, unable to bump-start, less control over your road speed, more strain on the cooling system, added complexity..... the list goes on.

Plus, in your case, theres no "bolt on" gearbox available for the 1.7TD. Well, not one that will last more than a week anyway.
this might be a signature
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Sorted

Post by tlampre »

DavidRutherford wrote:
tlampre wrote:On the subject of auto's, I'd much prefer that to a manual
Really?

Worse fuel economy, lower performance, unable to bump-start, less control over your road speed, more strain on the cooling system, added complexity..... the list goes on.

Plus, in your case, theres no "bolt on" gearbox available for the 1.7TD. Well, not one that will last more than a week anyway.
My favourite BX from a driving perspective was my 16TRS auto, placid little thing that it was. I've never found the deficiencies you mention to be a problem, but it's not something I'm religious about. All cars are a bundle of compromises as far as I'm concerned.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

On the subject of manual versus auto, I would add that up until a couple of years ago I wouldn't have touched an auto...

BUT, I was convinced by a Discovery automatic, enough to buy it! With the right engine (torquey V8) it does suit the auto box quite well IMO. Makes off roading easier (I know this isn't applicable to the BX!) and you can always select the gears manually if you want. OK, so I am sometimes cursing the autobox, and I can't think of any other cars I have driven where I would want one - but they are not totally without their merits!

Oh, and cooling system complexity - the Disco has two seperate oil coolers JUST for the gearbox...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rhv100
Confirmed BX'er

Auto boxes

Post by rhv100 »

Aah! youve never driven a Mk1 Granada auto.I used to load the estate and tow an 8 x 5ft 6 trailer as well. Unbelievable!!
Couldnt afford it now though!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Auto boxes

Post by DavidRutherford »

rhv100 wrote:Aah! youve never driven a Mk1 Granada auto.I used to load the estate and tow an 8 x 5ft 6 trailer as well. Unbelievable!!
Impressive it may have been, but I'll be willing to bet $1m that the manual equivalent was more economic and had more power available at the wheels.
this might be a signature
rhv100
Confirmed BX'er

Auto boxes

Post by rhv100 »

You are so right Mr.R.At 20 or less to the gallon and struggling at anything over 90 it was no racer.But it was such a lazy and comfortable car with an enormous load space and amazing amounts of grunt,and petrol companies paid you to take it away --- almost-- in those days . Happy Days eh!!
Mind you I wouldnt swap my BX estate now.I got converted about 10 yrs ago.It does all I want so heres to another 10yrs .
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Post by tlampre »

Well, I made the drive back to Melbourne on Wednesday without incident, but I doubt if I'd ever get used to not having the engine stop when removing the key. This morning I had a more thorough check of things and found a blown fuse adjacent to the alarm horn. It's all non-standard wiring so I suspected it was involved with the immobiliser. However, replacing the fuse didn't help. I then tried my spare immobiliser key and lo-and-behold, the bastard started.

Seems something zapped the other key. Unfortunately, it was a short lived victory as when I went to the shops later on it died a death before I got to the end of the street. The fuse was OK but no way would it restart. Fortunately I had the sense to leave my hotwire connected so I was going again quickly.

Tomorrow I'll have to rewire and bypass the immobiliser and run the solenoid directly from an ignition source. I expect the solenoid should be on a fuse. Does anyone know what current rating it should be?
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Current.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi as far as I can remember ( which isn't that far) it takes a gulp of 5 amps to start with.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Post by tlampre »

Ok, thanks.

I've just spent the morning fruitlessly looking for a 12v source that comes on with the ignition, but doesn't turn off when the starter is turned. I'm thinking the circuit that feeds the glow plugs would be a good place to tap in but I don't have a circuit diagram for the diesels. Any suggestions?
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Ah the glow plug controller blue box (blue on mine anyway.)Remove and underneath is a multi pin plug this is were my feed comes from. As maybe a matter of interest I had problems with the stop solenoid and measured the volts and found 12 of them at the glow plug box and 12 at the solenoid with the wire disconnected, when connected at the solenoid end there was about 5 Volts. That piece of wire had gone high resistance!!!
The wire it no good.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
tlampre
Confirmed BX'er

Post by tlampre »

You're a legend! Found it easily and it's all wired up good. Such a novelty, being able to start and stop the engine with only the key and not having to open the bonnet. :D

As an added bonus, I dodged a bullet when I noticed that the two live wires had chaffed and rubbed right through an inch long section of the insulation. One core was black from arcing and the other had melted into the insulation of the adjacent earth wire! :shock: They are all nicely wrapped in insulation tape now.

Thanks very much.