Bit of rough running at certain revs and road speed

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Bit of rough running at certain revs and road speed

Post by Aerodynamica »

Hi all, the BX runs pretty well but ever since the very first motorway I used it on A30 in Cornwall to date up and around locally I have noticed that at around 60 - 65 and about 3K rpm, the engine is not smooth and there's mild jerking in the delivery - it almost always happens going up a long, mild incline at Mway speeds. When it does this the tacho fluctuates a little (say between 3K-3.2K)

Now I'd been aware of a little flat spot in the carburetor just at the start of the second choke that tends to cure itself after some time but now the car runs on LPG and the carb faults are all gone - it goes like a rocket! however It is still doing the same thing at 60 and 3Krpm always going slightly up hill and never does it down hill...

I'm thinking it's dropping a spark at these conditions but what could cause this?

I have still to look at the spark plugs for condition but would there be any common known causes of this? Timing has been checked and it was ok if a tiny bit advanced - not enough to cause issues.

Any ideas?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hi Graeme,

I assume that you have checked/changed HT leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm?

If so, assuming that LT leads are in good order, with good clean connectors, I'd be looking at coil (borrow another to test) and ignition module (I always like to have a spare in the glovebox in any case, as they do sometimes die without warning...)

On another tack, if the rev counter perhaps does not drop to an extent to make a definative diagnosis of ignition problems, I'd be checking carefully for signs of running lean (what colour are the plugs?); many 80s Cits were jetted rather on the lean side from the factory, with the result that a slight air leak or worn carb will lean the mixture to the point at which running is affected...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Mine's doing something very similar at the moment. No idea what it is, so I'll watch with interest (although being injected it'll probably be something totally different!)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Although if it acts up just the same on LPG you can rule out the carb ;-)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

If the rev counters dips while you are getting rough running then you are losing the low voltage ignition pulses. These are generated by the distributor and then amplified by the ignition module.
The rev counter pick up is from the HT coil.
Check all the connections and the condition of all the connector pins.
None of this is load or revs dependent particularly so you might have to investigate deeper by swapping out the components. Any of the wires could have an internal breakage that only shows up in your failing conditions.

If it was not for the rev counter I would say check the vacuum advance retard.

Hope this helps.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks for the replies guys!

- don't be silly, it's me here! I only 'thought' about them - not actually checked them!

I know what I'm looking for with misfire or no fire in a dizzy cap and rotor but what would I be seeing in a dizzy cap for this symptom?

Kitch, you're probably right but I'm sure this is ignition based so -might- be similar?

Jaba, yes, this is what I understand - I should say it's not a very large rev counter dip - just a 'ripple' . But I'll go through all the various spade connectors and look at the cap, rotor and (well nothing really to see on the module) - I know the vacuum capsule is alive as it was observed when the timing was checked - but not to be ruled out!
-will update
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Aerodynamica wrote:Thanks for the replies guys!

- don't be silly, it's me here! I only 'thought' about them - not actually checked them!

I know what I'm looking for with misfire or no fire in a dizzy cap and rotor but what would I be seeing in a dizzy cap for this symptom?
Hehe ;-) I would remove the cap and give it a good clean with thinners or similar, carefully examine for hairline cracks, and clean up the copper bits, then ensure that the carbon brush seems as long as it should be and suitably springy and that the rotor arm isn't all green corrosion and had no obvious signs of wear/damage.

Citroen OE plug leads do last well, but nothing lasts for ever. Do splash out on some new plugs too!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Although the rev counter ripple would certainly suggest that the problem is rather further upstream than the ht leads and cap/rotor arm, leaving principle suspects LT connections, Ignition module and it's connections, and the electrical jiggery pokery that lives in the dizzy. The coil may be indicated, but I'm not sure I've never been forced to get too involved with these systems before; usually if all the connections are fine as well as plugs/leads/dizzycap/rotor arm they just work :wink: