EBC clutch?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

EBC clutch?

Post by toddao »

Anyone had experience of this brand? Is it best to stick with Valeo, especially re GTI/ 16v? There's quite a price difference. EBC €35 Valeo €180. Though the EBC item comes from a discount factors, is it discount kwality?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Dunno :?

But EBC do performance brake parts for bikes. In which case I would have thought it would be ok.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I would stick to Valeo personally but then I've not tried other makes. If you can afford the time to do it again then the cheaper one may be worth a try.

A Valeo one is £105 inc VAT from AEP but you'll need to contact them for a delivery quote. It would be worth making sure it is definitely is a valeo unit beforehand.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

That's a hell of a price difference Todd :o I once heard a tale that these cut-price clutches were refurbished second-hand units. How true this is I can't say abut frankly doubt it is the case although there are companies who do do clutch rebuilds for classic cars..

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and get a Valeo. It's known OEM quality and givenm that it's not exactly a leisurely Sunday afternoon job to swap a clutch, the initial heavy outlay could well pay for itself. I'll put my money where my mouth is an paid out over twice for a Valeo what a pattern part would have cost when I changed the clutch in my Xantia 1.9TD.

Having said that, EBC are a well respected maker of brake pads so maybe they're OK.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I fitted a new 'budget' clutch to my 205D last year just before I sold it, and although it was obviously better than the buggered one it replaced, I found the feel of it disappointing; it was rather fierce and prone to judder. Had I not been selling the thing, I would have been disappointed I hadn't gone for Valeo...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Clutches.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

As had already been said EBC have been doing and still do some very good braking parts, pads. discs etc. I may be wrong but I am as sure as I can be that the clutches were refurbished what ever that may mean. My experience with recon or refurbished clutches, not specifically EBC it must be said, is that you tend to get what you pay for. Put it this way, if I was going to sell a vehicle on then I would fit a recon clutch if it needed one. If I was going to fit one to my car then it would be a new one ( Valeo.If a Citroen.).
Less chance of it being a bad one and even if labour charges are not an issue then it's not a job to be done twice really.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.