Headgaskets

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Headgaskets

Post by tim leech »

Hi guys,

I understand bx diesels are prone to blowing headgaskets, how can i tell? and more importantly how much does it cost to repair and is it a easy job?

many thanks
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Tim. The usual signs of headgaskets blowing are oil in the water (header tank and radiator) and water in the oil. If the oil is really white and milky and the water is pretty much the same it`s usually a good sign.
You`d probably also notice poor running and starting and loss of performance.
I`ve not heard of BX`s being prone to headgasket failure but that doesn`t mean it`s not true!
Just to confuse the issue I had what I thought were head gasket problems on a 405 petrol (oil was very milky) but it turned out to be condensation from only using the car for short journeys.
I`m not sure if this occurs in diesels too but always worth giving the car a really good hard blast every few days.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Often caused by silted up radiators, with the engine warm/hot feel the back of the radiator, if silted it will be cold at the bottom and hot at the top, other signs to look for are bubbles in the coolant, with the engine cold and ticking over remove the rad cap and look in, a steady stream of bubbles can mean the gasket has failed, replace the cap and hold the top hose, if the gasket has gone this will become hard as pressure builds up . the gasket is a reasonable proposition to diy, N/A diesels are easier than turbo ones, the head should usually be skimmed, and all bolts and gaskets replaced .
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks stew, whats the cost on something like that? As im not capabale to do it myself.

Thanks
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Standard test. From stone cold, with coolant topped up to normal, start engine, run engine for forty five seconds. Switch off. remove rad cap.
Fountain? blown gasket. No fountain? 99.9% certainty that it is all right.
If you are considering buying car then don't buy one with a blown gasket.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

if its for nowt then its ok!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

never say never! Its really not too hard to do the gasket yourself! But when you do it, you'll end up doing the belt, the thermostat the water housing, all the other seals including cam shaft end seal, and byt the time your finished with it all you stand to save many hundreds if you DIY!

Go on, Just Do IT
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Pesonally I find it easier, cheaper, quicker to change the engine and fit a new clutch while it out, car back on road same day. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Yup Ken agree with you there, you can do all those jobs whilst the thing is at your mercy dangling on a crane, even the octopus is visible (slight exaggeration there :evil: )
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at this thread - I have posted a number of links to others. I did the modification suggested by Tom yesterday and for the first time have a full speed and can hear the relay clicking. Nice and warm too!

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17019

jeremy
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thing is guys I dont havea crane or tools or a garage! and Im a car salesman so flog um but have no idea how to take them apart! So i would need to pay someone to do it as i would never in a million years attempt it myself.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Taking them apart is easy, putting them back together just requires a bit of practise.

Curious to know what started this train of thought.?
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

tim leech wrote:Thing is guys I dont havea crane or tools or a garage! and Im a car salesman so flog um but have no idea how to take them apart! So i would need to pay someone to do it as i would never in a million years attempt it myself.
Have you tried asking one of the lads in the garage where you work, I`m sure one of them would do it as a foreigner?
Vauxhall apologist.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

BX diesels are definitely prone to blown to head gaskets - maybe not so much now but certainly when nearly new.

My mum's 2 year old 19 TGD blew a gasket at 22k Baxk in 1993. Luckily we'd bought it as an approved second hand car from a Citroen dealer so it was fully covered under warranty :D

It was not uncommon to hear of similar stories in magazines such as 'What Car?' at the time!
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Unfortunatly not, foreigners are not allowed due to strict VW rules. Plus to be honest if its not a VW they dont normally like working on them!!