Such a drain

BX Tech talk
rockadam666

Such a drain

Post by rockadam666 »

hi
im new to this club, but am desperatly seeking advice to keep my BX on the road.

i own a 1.7TZD and recently a problem has occured where the battery light on the dash stays illuminated even when the keys have been taken out the ignition. at first i thought it was the barrel because it was becomin hard to operate it because it kept getting stuck and the key jammed, so i changed the barrel for a new one and, hurray it worked the battery light dissappeared, or so i thought untill a couple of days ago it came back on draining my battery to the point where i have to uncouple the battery after every journey.

another thing i noticed is that when it is running and driving, the light dims when i dip the clutch and the revs drop, but soon gets brighter when it engages again.

if anyone has any advice on the matter or could help get to the bottom of this situation it would be most appreciated as i dont want to get rid of her.

many thanks

ads
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

hi and welcome
sounds like a loose aux belt or a duff alternator to me if you have a multi meter put it across the battery with the engine running and all lights on you should get about 14.5 volts.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The battery light staying on without the ignition is usually caused by a knackered alternator.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
rockadam666

nearly solved

Post by rockadam666 »

hi thanks for your replies

i spent some time checking all the wiring connections and when i was checking the alternator, i found that the light went out when i un plugged the dash light connection from the alternator, so, i thinnk the alternator coil pack is draining the battery through the dashlight circuit through the battery because from what i can see, that is the shortest distance to earth.

time for a new alternator

many thanks ads