are these the symptoms of head gasket failure?

BX Tech talk
pikey

are these the symptoms of head gasket failure?

Post by pikey »

go on then make this the most depressing day of the year (as quoted in various media) even worse.
on my way home from work a couple of nights ago in my 1.7 turbo diesel i noticed the smell of coolent being brought into the car through the heater, i checked under the bonnet to find coolent escaping from the leakoff on the expansion bottle.
the car has been unused since then, today i removed the cap on the bottle to let out any pressure and then used the rutherford technique of reapply cap and fast idle for a minute, at the end of this there was no pressure in the system, but if i leave the cap of with the engine idling i can see centimeter sized bubble in the bottle, if i raise the revs the bubbles change to a champagne type fizz.
also the coolent is a bright rust red colour which rang bells about combustion gasses effecting the antifreeze.
in april i changed the belts, waterpump, thermostat, fan temp switch and refilled using citroens progel stuff.
the lamps of death dont come on and i changed all the bulbs in the summer, although that could just mean that the temp switch on the themostat is goosed.
i'm pretty resigned to changing the head gasket but any thoughts are welcome.

cheers pikey
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Mmmm, it don't look good.

However, run the engine until the thermostat opens, then run the engine for another 10 mins, check that the radiator is hot all over. It could be a blocked rad. Other than that it's probably the HG.

My mate has run one like this for almost 2 years, he even went up to the north of Scotland the other week in it. Did over 1000 miles in the day due to diversions with extreme weather and it's still going.

But the probability is the head will most likely be cracked when he comes to do the job. Hence it's easier, quicker and cheaper to change the whole lump.
They think it's all over, it is now!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

If it is the head gasket, call me a cowboy but this was recommended by a BXpert well known and beloved of us all for my issues of a similar ilk. Seems to work and as long as it does until I can work on the car without getting frostbite then I'm happy. Right, now they'll be a deluge of why not to but for 9.99 it's worth a bash because it's not head gasket changing weather

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?s ... 4.&pgid=17
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If it's additives being recommended like the old faithful Radseal then you can even go back to an even older-time remedy like eggs as summarized by another forum poster:
If you do think of using Radseal or similar, put your 4 quid away and go and nick a couple of eggs from the fridge.

Fry or scramble the yoke (to have something to eat while you are doing this) but pour the 'whites' into a couple small containers or bottles with lids. Add a little water, shake, and pour contents of one in rad.

Run engine as instructed with Radseal etc.

You will be surprised, it will do a better job.

Put the other sealed bottle on shelf for another day.

Cost? about 20p plus you had a bite to eat in the bargain.
(Additives do do more than you want them to of course :roll: )
1991 BX19GTi Auto