how to change the starter motor ? can you help ?

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

how to change the starter motor ? can you help ?

Post by cacaolat »

a happy new year everyone !
I had a fair share of similar starter problems in the past. Eventually I realised that all I have to do is following the special instructions for a BX 1.6
Depress accellerator fully when I first start it and in the rare case it dies in the first minutes I press the accellerator fully.
Yesterday this happened to me again, the engine died after about 30 seconds of driving. I tried to restart it for a while but suddenly there was no response from the starter motor anymore. I tried again today and there it still does not turn at all. There is a click sound and the battery is fine.
Is the starter motor gone again ? (it is a valeo less than 2 years old)
Can I fix this by myself on that local street ?
Last edited by cacaolat on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: starter motor gone again ?

Post by DavidRutherford »

cacaolat wrote:There is a click sound and the battery is fine.
Have someone else turn the key to the "start" position, and while they're holding it there, give the starter motor a reasonable clonk with a medium hammer. It will now probably start.

The starter itself is most likely fine... it's the solenoid that causes the problems.
this might be a signature
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Have just done that. I hit the starter motor with the hammer a couple of times, whilst my wife turned the ignition key.
but still nothing except a click
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Either the solenoid isn't closing the starter circuit, or the motor has gone high resistance.

On the side of the starter there should be a copper link from the solenoid to the starter motor itself. Measure resistance between this and the battery -ve terminal.. Should be quite low, well under an ohm.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I got a multimeter to test this, but how do I recognize the solenoid? I looked at the starter, it has another round thing on top which seems to be part of it...is that it ?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It certainly is.

Question 2) What are the 39 steps?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

oh sorry jonathan the question must have been below your level.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I'm sorry for being flippant, I was just attempting a little light humour :wink:
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

ok ..that is fine
I have taken the multimeter reading between the battery -terminal and the copper link solenoid/starter motor.
It is 43.2
and now ?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

cacaolat wrote:It is 43.2
Fish?

Sorry, I'm being an arse now! (and I have no idea what Jonathan was on about with 39 steps?!?!) I assume that's 43.2 ohms. If so, the starter is very ill. That reading should have been under 1. Have the motor off, and take it to a starter reconditioner. It may simply be a high-resistance connection somewhere, or it may be stuffed.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It could just be the battery negative lead - as the starter is newish that seems the most likely problem...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Ok I have never done it before but this time I think I will fit my own starter motor....before that I will follow instructions and get all the meter readings and if necessary change the battery negative leads etc. HT leads too ?
I am finally fed up with this starting problems. (this was my 3rd starter motor already)
How difficult is it to replace a starter motor on a local street ?
I will buy my own multimeter soon.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you have a set of good jump leads you can prove whether it is the battery leads or not. To check the negative lead, connect a jump lead from the battery negative terminal to the gearbox casing, making sure that the casing is clean before clipping to it. If it then starts fine then the negative lead is the problem.
You can do the same with the postive lead - connect from the terminal on the starter motor that has the big cable attached to it, to the battery positive terminal. Connect at the starter end first, and make sure the jump lead clip cannot either spring off, or come into contact with any other metal parts other than the terminal. Otherwire you will have some nasty sparks!
If this fails I have a known good starter you can have.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
M

Post by M »

I have a known good starter motor off a 2.0HDi, no idea i it will fit, but if it does you are welcome to it for gratis.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:I have no idea what Jonathan was on about with 39 steps?!?!
The 39 Steps is an organization of spies...collecting information on behalf
of the foreign office of...(BANG!)

For some reason the wording of the question reminded me of a quiz, or the 'memory man' scene at the end of The 39 Steps film...

I'll get me coat...