how to change the starter motor ? can you help ?

BX Tech talk
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

He he I bet you remember who won the Epsom Derby in 1927 as well (or whatever the question was).

Jonathan, wake up this is 2009, nobody has ever heard of the 39 Steps, or John Buchan, or Alfred Hitchcock for that matter. And they call films "movies". And nobody drives in BXs either.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you mat and M, I will happily come back to these kind offers. Of course first I have to check the leads and make sure the starter is the right kind. tomorrow I am busy, and in the evening it is dark already !
by the way jonathan my first car was a GS special (1979)
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Indeed, I guess we all are anachronisms in a way, driving and (generally) fixing ourselves old and somewhat eccentric motors, but I guess we have the last laugh.

I can't remember the answer to the Derby question, which is probably just as well.

Cacaolat: excellent choice of first car ;-)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That reminds me, my Dad's first Citroen was a W reg GSA Special, one of the early ones with the GS dash. Got me into Citroens from a very early age!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I have checked the negative lead by attaching a jump lead between battery negative and engine bits. No still the same so I will have to change the starter motor I suppose :?
Is this just a matter of unscrewing the bolts and disconnecting a couple of cables, or is there anything more mysterious to it ?
can anyone tell me if one of the 2 starter motors offered above would fit my bx ?
And more I now have the feeling that I really need to do this relay conversion... anyone has advice on this ?
http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... +australia
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Hi Gregor,

You may have better access to the bolts as yours is auto. I believe they're Allen or hex bolts. AA man changed one on the drive once (BX #1, now RIP) as part of Home Start (brave bugger; it was raining too). And he had a right pain with one of the bolts because the clutch arm was right in the way, even with clutch fully depressed, so he ended up tapping it round with a long narrow drift! Nothing mysterious to it I think.

Good luck!

Mark.
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

Hi. I have a 1.9 tzi auto, and the starter is a pain to do on that because of the huge inlet manifold covering it up. No clutch arm in the way though.I think it is ok on a carburetted car. 3 allen headed bolts (tight! you will need decent socket set type allen tools) , the main power connection to the solenoid, and 1 other normal size wire connected to the solenoid if I remember rightly. I have just changed the starter for the same symptoms, and found the new one to be no better. I would try the relay wheeze first, as it might just save the price of a starter. I am going to try it when I can get to it. Good luck, its no fun having no starter in an auto!
Huw
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you I will thoroughly investigate the relay conversion. I have read the thread above, but it would be useful to see some photos or the exact relay I have to order...
Tomorrow! first thing in the morning I will buy my own multimeter to double check things.
(half price from maplins) http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44679
then I'll plan my repairs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

cauchoiskev wrote: Jonathan, wake up this is 2009, nobody has ever heard of the 39 Steps, or John Buchan, or Alfred Hitchcock for that matter. And they call films "movies". And nobody drives in BXs either.
I'm a huge fan of Hitchcock, love the 39 steps, and have a piccy of john Buchan on the wall (dont ask)..
and I'm only 28!

Never heard of a BX though... :lol:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

:?
I wanted to double check the resistance measurement, with the new multimeter I bought. I am having problems getting the digits to move at all. It stays at 1.
I tried it with the ignition on and off ?! is the new multimeter not working properly ? how can I test it. The instructions are minimal and not very clear.
On top of that it is too cold out there to work on the car.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

M wrote:I have a known good starter motor off a 2.0HDi, no idea i it will fit, but if it does you are welcome to it for gratis.
will this fit the BX 16 ? just in case you are in the know, would be happy to find out.
I would get another one but Mat is on Holidays.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cacaolat wrote::?
I wanted to double check the resistance measurement, with the new multimeter I bought. I am having problems getting the digits to move at all. It stays at 1.
1 signifies that the resistance measurement is higher than the range that you are switched to or is open circuit.

Check that the meter is working by touching the probe tips together and the meter should indicate 0. If it doesn't, you have a wrong setting, fault or have burnt out internal components of the meter by trying to measure resistance with voltage still applied across the measuring points.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Way2go wrote: Check that the meter is working by touching the probe tips together and the meter should indicate 0. If it doesn't, you have a wrong setting, fault or have burnt out internal components of the meter by trying to measure resistance with voltage still applied across the measuring points.
:?
I have just touched the probe tips together...it shows changing numbers between 1 and 45. at one stage it actually displayed 1.3 for a while ?
I hope I did not break the thing.
I just measured from the cars -terminal to the starter motor. The battery was still connected, or was I supposed to disconnect that ?
With the other meter (returned to shop) I was a bit more experimental and I tried to measure even with ignition key on and on the + terminal, but this time I was more careful.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

cacaolat wrote:I just measured from the cars -terminal to the starter motor..
Where on the starter motor? There are at least 3 different terminals on the solenoid. You are looking to measure the resistance across the windings, which can be done by measuring between the copper link and the body of the motor.
this might be a signature
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I mostly touched the big screw, which is where I think the live is connected. but I also tried the small standard plug next to it and the motor itself.