how to change the starter motor ? can you help ?

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I received the starter today. Thank you Mat ! I wanted to fit it, but then I had to go and buy a hex bit socket (8mm) and meanwhile it was already too late and too dark to do the work on the street. I'll do it this Saturday.
Should I put some grease or oil on the teeth ?
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

No need for any lubrication, should be fine fitting it dry. You have my number now so if you have any problems fitting it you can give me a ring...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I am looking forward to tomorrow...finally I seem to have everything to do the repair. although I do plan to make the relay conversion later as I need to learn how to solder properly.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Finally
I left the house at 9am, walked the 150metres to the car and fitted the new starter. no problems encountered and 45 minutes after it was done and it all works fine now.
:P thanks to the much appreciated help from BXclub forum members.

at the end I have spotted that the radiator is dripping a bit.mmhh this may be the next problem and the relay conversion will be done too (eventually) :?
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Good news.

I would do the relay mod while the rad is out being changed.
that should help with access.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Brilliant. Well done, and this really proves the value of this Club!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Another idea as well as an additional relay, promoted by Alan S, late of this parish, was to fit a push button on the dashboard for starting, wired up to the starter solenoid.
This replaced the circuit through the ignition switch and applies the full 12v to the solenoid.

I think he did this when the starter circuit on his ignition switch started playing up.
Last edited by Jaba on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

There's also those heavy duty pull switches with a knob on a Bowden cable like are fitted to older BMC/BL cars such as the Morris Minor. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

cacaolat wrote: at the end I have spotted that the radiator is dripping a bit.mmhh this may be the next problem :?
huh ! I am glad the radiator is not really leaking, it must have been some water dripping from the earlier disconnection of a big rubber pipe.
B-Hive
BXpert

might be the ignition switch

Post by B-Hive »

hi there

forgive me cos i havent read the whole thread incase someone else has already suggested this... but the click you get could be from the ignition relays shutting off when you turn the ignition key to the starter position.

My TRS has a "push to start" button installed in lieu of replacing a dud ignition switch. The key still turns on the ignition and all electrics, but the push switch engages the starter. If I try to start conventionally all I get is a click from the relays turning off.

Just try hardwiring your starter and see if she turns.

Worth a try..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed