i think i have fuel supply problems

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

maxgreenwood wrote:noticable on dashboard lights getting brighter and dimmer.
Is this at idle or at elevated RPM? Unless your idle is very low indeed, it shouldn't be affecting the alternator output that much.

If you are getting some hunting at 2000rpm, or indeed any elevated rpm, then it's a cast-iron guarantee that you've a constant leak of air into the fuel.
this might be a signature
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

its only slight - at idle, maybe thats some challenge the alternator is preparing for me!
Theres no hunting for revs, engine speed seems pretty much rock solid. So i suspect if it is air, its only coming in when the problem occurs - on accelerating or decelerating in gear, at particular resonances if you know what i mean - it was most in 3rd gear, now in 2nd gear. so a leak showing up under load? or on fuel returning to tank (decelerating?).
the lower engine mount is swingy so it makes it more apparent. Its not a problem above 2000rpm and used to completely disappear there, but is detectable now as the problem is advancing.

Must go through the bits this weekend to check.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

well a small update, been ridiculously busy work wise which is a relief after a quiet January, but it means I havn't had chance to check out this fueling thing. However, the problem has completely vanished in the last few days, theres no juddering at the moment apart from the lower engine mount when taking up drive etc, but that and a few other things i'm going to get sorted in the next few weeks. I reckon hopefully it could be something as simple as the (new) fuel filter housing seals letting in air - a bit of grease on those i think for good measure.

:D
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Might have been ice/water in the tank, filer –fuel lines, restricting the flow. Especially now it’s disappeared with the slightly warmer weather.

A dose of diesel water removing additive might help.

Regards