ZX 16v engine

BX Tech talk
grecian
Confirmed BX'er

ZX 16v engine

Post by grecian »

I assume this is basically the same as the BX 16v; if so, is there anything to look for apart from the basics - records of fluid changes, cambelt, mayonaisse in the filler cap

sorry it's not a BX, but it is close and I need a replacemnet for my ZX 1.9D soon
previous- GS, Visa, 19DTR, 4x4, now ZX 1.9D and 1985 BMW M5
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The ZX 16v is a car I like. It basically has the same bare head as the BX 16v, but everything bolted to it is different, and uses an iron block not alloy. It's the same engine as fitted to the Xantia 16V VSX (early ones), the 306 S16 and the 405 Mi16 ph2. Has a big placcy intake manifold with a variable intake system built in, which is supposed to give the power of a BX 16v with better economy. It's crap and doesn't work; they're very economical for a 2.0 (35mpg easy) but they're pretty lethargic in terms of pace. These vacuum activated pods on each side of the intake have little metal rods attached to them, the ends of which have a tendancy to break, so if it feels really limp that could be the problem.
Catalysed cars aren't as good on fuel, nor as quick as pre-cat cars.
Misfires are usually down to the individual coil packs. They're still available aftermarket.

Heater matrixes regaularly block up, dash out job to put right. Clutch is a subframe off job too, so check thats good as its pricey to get chanegd (unless you fancy it yourself).
They also chew radiators for some reason, and most parts suppliers have a nightmare working out which ones they use. Everyone seems to get the Volcane and the 16v confused.

Drive the rear end over big bumps, both under load and on overrun. Listen and feel for clonks....the subframe bushes are a common fail point, but this is something you'd notice on your own ZX.

Make sure the bodykit is complete....replacement parts are an arsehole to find.

Otherwise theres not alot to worry about. Cambelt is a PITA so ideally that would have been done already.

Only thing I would mention is that theres a world of difference between a 16V and a run of the mill ZX. In fact the Volcane is soft and squishy compared with the 16v. The 16v engine is lame yes, but the suspension is bespoke for it and the handling is actually the best FWD I've ever driven. Insane levels of grip from the front end and very little roll....unlike most ZX's.
However the ride is really stiff and the seats not as supportive as you'd think over time. Leather is worth a fair bit if it's got that and some had air con.

Overall they're not as plush as you'd think, but then ZX's do have a cheapy element to them anyway IMO. If I'd been comfortable from day one I' have kept it alot longer as I genuinely liked the car, but I could only drive the thing for about 20mins before my back started hurting!

The engine's not a hardcore revvy unit like the BX, but was more user friendly and economical. In France they did the last of the line 16v Dakar, which used a Xsara VTS engine and had a sub 7sec 0-60mph time. That engine was a cracker!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
grecian
Confirmed BX'er

ZX 16v

Post by grecian »

Kitch

what a super reply - far more than I could have expected

when the snow stops I'll go have a look, bearing in mind your comments; if they won't let my garage do a check I'll walk away, otherwise I'm tempted; ZX's don't rust to any great extent; as it is replacing a ZX my wife should be happy (well, more so than another E28 BMW or a BX), and I should be able to live with the suspension as the M5 is somewhat stiff

thanks

Mike
previous- GS, Visa, 19DTR, 4x4, now ZX 1.9D and 1985 BMW M5
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Re: ZX 16v

Post by jonathan_dyane »

grecian wrote:ZX's don't rust to any great extent
The ZX is usually very good for rust, but the front inner wings can and do rot, and I have seen rotten sills too (albeit on a rather ragged example...)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

No worries mate, hope it's a good one. If it's white or black get it bought! They're even rarer.

I did read once that only around 500 ZX 16v's were ever sold in the UK, although how much water that holds I don't know.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)