engine oil Flush

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

engine oil Flush

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi what are peoples oppinions on these engine oil flush products do they work or do they cause more problems I shall be doing an oil change soon and just wondered if it would benefit a flush. My oppinion when i worked for rovers was dont use them as the loosened small particles can block the small oilways but i am after your own honest oppinions or if you have used it yourself did it work. :?: :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

well dont go out and buy one of these cans of magic goo, there a total rip-off as all they are is diesel witha few aditives! So your better off throwing 500ml-1litre of diesel into the oil. Basically its a case of getting the engine hot and what i was told to do was let the car run on idle and wait for the fans to kick in twice, switch off and drain!

Done this on a couple of rough runners, last one was a 1.4 T-class engine in the BX that was absolutley disgusting, took the rocker off and scrapped a load of oil out with a big stick first! Anyways, we then flushed it and changed the oil, ran it for 10 minutes and whipped the rocker off again. The results where truely fantastic! Remembering that you can see most of the top gear with the rocker off on this engine it was seriously clean, stained but clean!

Done it on several cars now and never seen any probelms with it. I understand what you mean about the oil galleries getting full, but so far it hasnt been a problem!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ve heard the same as you Sleepy that they can block off oil ways.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I can honestly say after 5 years of owning the bx i can leave it running on the drive for ages and i have never had the fans kick in infact i have never heard the high speed at all i know the low speed works i have heard it running and the high speed works if you bridge the contacts at the rad switch.
Hmmm could there be something wrong but it has been fine for 5 years.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

As I understand it, most diesel engine oils, have a detergent in them anyway.
They think it's all over, it is now!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The state of my oil it is not working it is like treacle thick and black I have just done the oil change today with cheap oil for the mot on thursday but i intend to do it again with some quality oil once i have cured the bl**dy rocker cover oil leak which is peeing down the back of the engine again.

Any sugestions on curing it or anything else round the back of the engine that can cause an oil leak.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Oil can blow round the engine and look as though its coming from the back. I've had the breather hoses on the front soften and loose a bit of oil. Another possibility os camshaft seals.

Is the rocker cover joint surface flat? - Its possible that the thing has been previously overtightened and distorted.

Does the engine fume much when hot?

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The cover has been replaced which cured the leak for a bit it was put on to 2flb The seal at the hp end was replaced i will check the other end and if you mean with the dipstick out yes you do get fumes.

Update I have just checked the os seal and the seal does look as though it is leaking so i will have to get a new seal and belt.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If the fuming is excessive (and you'll know what I mean if it is - take the filler cap off and you'll nearly choke!) its a sign of ring/piston/bore damage. The engine will leak from everywhere whatever you do.

A possibility is ahead gasket - but I think this is clutching at straws as it would have to leak at one end to find the oil returns, avoid another cylinder and the waterways.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news and I hope I'm wrong.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

the fuming isnt like that it is only a little
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The best engine flush is to change the oil and filter every 3000 miles, in an NA BX diesel its quite safe to use something like morris duplex which is only about six quid a throw, diesels get their oil black very quickly anyway, as a bonus a few rapid oilchanges might unstick a piston ring and reduce your fuming tendencies :)
failing that you could fit a Xantia TD engine :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

because we all know how much fun it is to change a XANTIA TD engine three times in one year!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

When I had the business and had to rely on 'experts' to do the service on my cars, I had one goose run this kind of stuff through a fumey motor claiming it would "flush all the shit out from behind the rings and make it stop fuming" which I told him at the time might have the opposite effect.
The engine was stuffed within 1000 klms as once the built up garbage was washed from behind the rings, they leaked like seives and the engine both lost power, leaked and burnt oil like you couldn't believe.
Keep the changes and filters up to it and you'll get a much better long term result as has been suggested.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

But fuming isnt a problem there is a little bit and that is it. it is only just noticible with the oil filler cap off :)
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

sleepy0905 wrote:But fuming isnt a problem there is a little bit and that is it. it is only just noticible with the oil filler cap off :)
Put something through it that washes the carbon off the ring grooves and the top of the bore and it soon will be.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.