what to check with a multimeter and how ?

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

what to check with a multimeter and how ?

Post by cacaolat »

Hello, in my recent thread about my starter motor problems I got some suggestions, but I am still not completely clear.
I should have measured the resistance between the battery's negative and the starter motor. It worked with the meter I borrowed, but when I wanted to double check with my newly purchased meter the digit just stays at 1.
Just to make sure: is it right that I leave the ignition off ? is it right that I put the - lead to the - battery terminal and the + lead to the starter motor/solenoid brass connection ? I did switch the meter on to the right range up to 200 ohm.

Another question, can I measure the voltage too...but which switch should I use ? by the way this is the multimeter I bought
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44679

I finally wanted to sort out the problem of all my starter motors burning out within a year...
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

ok...sorry how stupid of me...i found the detailed instructions in the bxclub links!
:oops:
UPDATE: I have exchanged the meter and still I do not get any resistance readings.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.