Charging problem

BX Tech talk
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Charging problem

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Ok, so following the demise of the BX engine, and having killed an AX within about 40 minutes of buying it, I went out and bought a Xantia 1.9td today. I had thought that (aside from it's distressed appearance) the main issue was a somewhat collapsed drivers seat (it's a somewhat-leggy ex-minicab) however it would seem that having just had to get the bus home to pick up a spare battery, all is not well with the charging system...

To cut to the chase, aside from the obvious lack if charging, the battery light either doesn't light or flickers, and only glows dimly. Connections seem ok. Should I try and dick around with it, or hotfoot to the scrap yard in the morning in search of another? BTW, it is a different alternator to the BX one; the type with the internal fan.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Most probably the brushes are worn down to nothingness. If you can get a replacement alternator I would do so, as although changing the brushes is fairly easy, they're not easy to get hold of.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:Most probably the brushes are worn down to nothingness. If you can get a replacement alternator I would do so, as although changing the brushes is fairly easy, they're not easy to get hold of.
Particularly on a Sunday ;-)

I tried tapping it with a hammer to try and get a bit more mileage, but it wasn't having any...

Should be plenty in the scrapyard, anyhoo.

Ta,
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Should be plenty in the scrapyard, anyhoo.
Or perhaps not. Turns out there are eleventy-billion permutations of non-interchangable alternators. Bloody Xantias :evil:

I can see trying to repair mine with the innards of another, Should be fun :roll:
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I would check the charging voltage in case it is something else.

Unlikely, but worth 2 minutes of your time.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Mike E (uk) wrote:I would check the charging voltage in case it is something else.

Unlikely, but worth 2 minutes of your time.

Mike
I bought a cheap multimeter today (most of my tools still in the boot of the BX 200 miles away) and found that the alternator was not charging at all. Also, in the cold light of day it was apparent that the HP was leaking, and being mounted directly above the alternator LHM had dripped into the alternator, gone right through it, and then was happily dripping out of the other side. I guess I ought to fix the HP before I replace the alternator then...

As I have a spare battery, I am currently running with this in the passenger footwell and driving on the battery, and can swap and recharge the other off the car when necessary. Better not play that game for too long though, otherwise I'll end up having to buy a battery as well as an alternator. Ho hum.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Bloody Xantias :evil:
Language Jonathan :twisted: :twisted:

One more thing to check before getting stuck in is that the ignition lamp wire (the thin one) is well connected. Sometimes if they come adrift or don't make a good connection, that can cause it, a duff bulb can too. Very unlikely but worth a check. If the light is on, then OK.

If you need to change any instrument bulbs in a MK1 Xantia, you really will have reason to say "Bloody Xantias" :lol: :lol:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'd reiterate citrojim's advice on the alternator connections after some experiences with the alternator on my BX last year.

On that occasion I ended up buying a new battery when I didn't need to, made a mess of fitting a replacement alternator(admittedly in crappy weather conditions), and made a mess of an alternator adjuster bolt too. In the end, with the aid of some excellent electrical help, the problem was resolved by combining parts (mainly brushes) from two alternators to make a better single one, and then testing and/or remaking every connection until they were as good as humanly possible.

Those good connections are absolutely vital. If you have any doubts about the wires or terminals at all then make sure you can allay them by rigorous measurement, cleaning and/or replacement. Lack of that on my part made a potentially short job into a much longer one.

Hope the current battery is a good'n'sturdy one.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Well, I took off the brushbox thingy checked it visibly, and found that the brushes were fine. I could have tried another brushbox/regulator assy, but I decided to go for a recon alternator for 72 quid delivered which seemed very fair. Better replace the seals on the HP before I fit it tho!

As for the Xantia (perhaps controversially) I have to say I find them quite a pleasant car. Very different to the BX, if it weren't for the awful seats I would be rather enjoying the change. Tempted to borrow the BX's front seats while it's off the road...
c90cassette
Confirmed BX'er

hi jonathan

Post by c90cassette »

hi jonathan,yes you are right about the xantia seats are crap compared to bx ones.ive got pair off a pug 306 xld the dark grey and black pattern not the lighter ones which show the dirt.you are welcome to use them if you want.they are good,in my house in l7 near edge lane. .ps is your xantia dark blue p reg with towbar?bye rob.
hi i am rob in liverpool 1989 bx 17 dtr turbo
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Re: hi jonathan

Post by jonathan_dyane »

c90cassette wrote:hi jonathan,yes you are right about the xantia seats are crap compared to bx ones.ive got pair off a pug 306 xld the dark grey and black pattern not the lighter ones which show the dirt.you are welcome to use them if you want.they are good,in my house in l7 near edge lane. .ps is your xantia dark blue p reg with towbar?bye rob.
Ooh, I am interested in the 306 seats; I have a somewhat tricky back, and even on my 12 mile commute I can feel my back twinging by the time I reach journey's end... Will you be around at the weekend? Oh and yes, well spotted; that is indeed my car!

Oh, and guess what? Now I have bought a new alternator the old one miraculously seems to have started working again! I guess that the brake cleaner I doused it with managed to shift the LHM from wherever it was messing things up...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I have a set of good Xantia front seats you can have, I am in North Wales so not too far from Liverpool...or is it that you don't like the Xantia seats full stop?

I also have an alternator, but I guess you don't need it, however I do have quite a few Xantia spares I rescued from the engine donor!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

mat_fenwick wrote:I have a set of good Xantia front seats and an alternator you can have, I am in North Wales so not too far from Liverpool...
Thanks Matt, alas I have to report that I find the Xantia seats rather disagreeable even in non-collapsed form,,, Might end up putting a pair of BX TX/TZ/GTI seats in if I manage to come by some, but otherwise the 306 ones will be an improvement!

Would have taken you up on the alternator, but alas the recon one is currently already winging it's way towards me...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ah, but these seats are famous...

I took them to the CCC rally last year (in the absence of deck chairs), and after a few drinks I completely forgot them the following morning! Chris (Doc) brought them back to his farm, and stored them till I could pick them up. Can't even give the things away, and when I leave 'em in a field on the other side of the country, they still get back to me!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad