TXD turbo?

BX Tech talk
YorkieTXD

TXD turbo?

Post by YorkieTXD »

Hi has anyone ever added a turbo on to a 93 19 TXD? Is it possible anyone know?

Or any other alternatives to get a bit more pick up? I had an 88 19 rd and it was a lot more faster. Im guessing the new Xantia engine and the cat is making the difference.

help
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

There should be no difference between a 19RD and 19TXD in performance as the engines are the same. Maybe that yours needs a good service and some work to the injectors/pump timing etc. No BX diesels ever had a "cat" as in catalyst fitted if thats what you mean.

Alternativly you could fit a 1.7TD engine from a scrapper if you can find one.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Putting a turbo into a car with a n/a engine is definitely not cost-effective, but if you're thinking more along the lines of an engine transplant then that's a better idea. You could never get the BX with a 1.9 TD but if I'm right a few members on here have tried it, their advice would be best :)
YorkieTXD

Post by YorkieTXD »

Roverman wrote:There should be no difference between a 19RD and 19TXD in performance as the engines are the same. Maybe that yours needs a good service and some work to the injectors/pump timing etc. No BX diesels ever had a "cat" as in catalyst fitted if thats what you mean.

Alternativly you could fit a 1.7TD engine from a scrapper if you can find one.
ah thats good to know, about the cat, it was just a presumption. yeah maybe just a good service. or maybe the rd was such a long time ago and i had just come from a mini 1000 that i didnt know anybetter.

so its obviously not that common someone putting a turbo on to the 1.9 engine. presumably the turbo off the 1.7 would not be compatible?
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The 1.7TD and 1.9TD engines are quite different to their non turbo counterparts, they are strengthened, have different cylinder heads, gearboxes, cooling systems, exhaust etc etc. I would try geting it serviced and set up properly and if its still not fast enough maybe swop it for a TXD/TZD turbo as it would be far cheaper and easier.

Welcome to the forum and keep us updated to see if the service helps, my friend recently bought a 1988 19RD and it was woefully slow, a good service, some injector cleaner and good long runs with the "taps open" has made a HUGE difference.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The n/a engines have a different setup including cam etc that you'd need to change. You'd also need manifolds, ducting, intercooler, radiator, gearbox (for correct ratios), exhaust....

In other words, buy a TD BX. They're not expensive! In fact theres a smart Hurricane in the for sale section :idea:

Personally having driven both I'd keep it N/A, but thats just my preference.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Sounding obvious, have you checked the air filter, it might be very old, a replacement should perk things up a bit. An oil change if its long overdue, again will help with speed/acceleration.

Try those 1st before going down the injector cleaning route as i'm not 100% convinced that those bottles when added to derv do anything. Might be best to try some of that fancy high octane derv instead & give the car an itialian tune up :D

Let us know how you get on, is there plenty of black smoke coming out of the exhaust when you floor the beast?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If anything theres a chance the early 88 19RD should have been slower, as it could have been an early square port engine (only maybe, not sure when they were replaced by the oval port but exactly but I know it was around then)

Or was oval older and square newer? Can't remember. All I know is that there was about 5bhp or so in it and the later ones have a square type intake box on top of the rocker cover.
We've got a '89 19RD later type and while it's no flying machine, it does always give 100%. Hit the ton a few times in it and it's fast enough for modern traffic.....just :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Tim wrote
No BX diesels ever had a "cat" as in catalyst fitted if thats what you mean
I've got two BX diesels with Cats, though not factory of course - my fitments to save €€€s on tax

My '86 1.9 goes like the wind ( Ok, like a gentle breeze) my '85 not so much but now I've got used to it and drive like a Grandad (with wind)..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Further to KITCH'S comment on the square port or oval port HE'S correct :!:

I'm NOT sure which porting gave more BHP power I'd have to look into it to be 100% sure (It is getting rather late to look up all my data just @ mo) :!:

But from memory the MK1 19RD units had a stated 65 BHP, 0-60 in 15.4 sec's and a top speed of 98MPH.

The MK2 (April 1987>) 19 RD units had a stated 68.5 BHP and a top speed of 103 MPH.
(These figures are for the hatchback models the estates were slightly slower).

I'm NOT 100% sure but they MAY have pushed the BHP output to 72 BHP on the very later/last models with the rectangular air filter box :!:

Also the XUD9 1905cc lump started out life in a Talbot Horizon and also the Peugeot 305 with only something like 62 BHP :!:
But as I said earlier I'd have to find my data sheets and its getting late, so if someones has time please correct me if I'M wrong (for info 1 HP = 0.746 KW)

Regards ^^ ^^
Last edited by RxBX on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Kitch was right before he corrected himself!

The early engines had square ports, and the very early square ports had no valve stem seals either.

Later engines had oval ports and a bit more oomph.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Having looked at me mates 19RD we think its the later type as it has the different air ducting and the rectangular filter in the ns inner wing compared the earlier round cylinder type.
YorkieTXD

Post by YorkieTXD »

well, jesus, thanks for all this help!

i suppose i should just stick to the txd. i certainly havent given it a service yet (only had it two weeks) but will be doing it shortly.

It is the 71bhp that i have now, what my 88 rd was i dont know, but the airboxes are different.

no black smoke coming out actually. it is probably running as good as it could, maybe i am just use to modern petrol engines.

will let you know how my service helps.

thanks again!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Start with the easy bits - is the throttle opening fully when the pedal is on the floor? Is the pedal floppy - then its bracket has broken off and must be re-fixed - very common.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

jeremy wrote:Start with the easy bits - is the throttle opening fully when the pedal is on the floor? Is the pedal floppy - then its bracket has broken off and must be re-fixed - very common.
Spot on Jeremy :!:
(I was going to write that up in my previous posting, but as it was getting very late and I was tired by then) :!:
I had that problem on a MK1 19RD that I bought but never really used it that much as my lady friend used it as a stop gap at the time and I then scrapped it as it needed a lot of welding and an MOT.

I'd got my fairly newish 17 DTR turbo at the time and then I had a TZD (So in my introduction when I stated I ran couple of Diesels a while ago really could have been three).

Anyhow the MK1 19RD was pretty slow in comparison to the 17 DTR turbo which you'd expect but it was REALLY REALLY slow.
So on one occasion whilst driving it, not long after purchasing it I was traveling on a dual carriage with no traffic about and as I'm quite tall managed with the pedal to the metal I put my hand down to the accelerator and felt the throttle cable and gave it a good pull. Well all of a sudden there was this amazing increase in power :shock: :o
I almost ended up on the back seat (Not really but it did fling me hard back into the drivers seat) :!:

On inspection of the pedal box bracket assy. it was all cracked down one side and the cable end had been bodged up with some sort of clip from a curtain rail and insulation tape to try and take up the cable slack it was and absolute mess to say the least :!:

I removed the bracket and welded it up and the outer clutch cable holding bracket (Explained in the following notes) put it all back,
set the cable clearances up etc. as required at the pump and it was then 100% spot on with no problems :D

Also take NOTE that mainly on MK1 pedal box assy. the clutch OUTER cable holding bracket was only spot welded to the the main bracket pressing and used to TEAR away giving a 'feeling' of a low/worn clutch operation :!:
^^ ^^ modified them on the MK2 and the spares/replacement units by an additional 3 small fillet welds on three sides of the outer clutch cable holding bracket.

So 'YorkieTXD' as Jeremy stated 'Start with the easy' items to check, BUT obviously DONOT attempt doing it the way I found out about this problem :!:
Check it whilst engine is OFF get some to sit in the car to press the accelerator 'pedal to the metal' and then inspect the throttle cable @ the pump end (Carb/injection on petrol models) to see if your getting a 100% activation :!:

I hope this helps, if you need a good pedal box assy. :?: PM me I may have a spare one.
Cheers