Two dead BXs in Pangbourne

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Tourist
BXpert

Two dead BXs in Pangbourne

Post by Tourist »

Spotted in Pangbourne near Reading, Berkshire.

I've seen these a few times but never had the opportunity to take a picture. There's something sad about these cars, just dead by the side of the road ...

Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Possibly a pair of TZD turbos?

The hatch could be a GTi... and actually looking again, is the estate a 4x4? Just looking at the weird stripes along the rubbing strips.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The estate is a 4x4! (see the bonnet decal) rare motor, wonder if it goes
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

This could be a dumping site for BXs because I remember that last time I came along this road, there were 2 hatchbacks, one stacked on top of the other. My memory could be telling lies, I don't drive go through Pangbourne very often ...

I didn't get a look at what they are, the estate could be a 4x4 if Tim says it is and my guess is that the hatch is a TZD.

The estate looks like it could still run, I don't think it's been there for very long (a few months) and it might be the same story with the hatch but without taking that cover off it's hard to tell.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Lookin at it more closely its definatly a 4x4 as it has the special side stripes blow the bump strips
frugg
BXpert

Post by frugg »

I would laugh if that TZD had leather and i would go and get it as well if it did :lol: :lol:
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

You mean if the interior had been changed at some point in the cars life?

If one of those cars is a turbo, it might be worth going back at night with dark clothes and a spanner ... :lol:
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

No mate, the TZD Turbo was available with leather as an option... But not many people fancied shelling out over a grand for an interior, so it's quite rare...

and when I say quite... :lol:
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Oh I thought it was only available on the GTI and valver, but OK, I learn more about the BX every day :-#
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

I want the bumpers from that estate!
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

definately a 4x4. I want it one :roll: god knows why. Just 'cos they exist. :lol: beers
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Tourist wrote:
The estate looks like it could still run, I don't think it's been there for very long (a few months) and it might be the same story with the hatch but without taking that cover off it's hard to tell.
The 4x4 has been there many years and the other one some time too! I always look at them to see if work has started to bring them back to life but sadly not yet. It must be that the guy still has these on his "to do" list or presumably he would have disposed of them when scrap prices were at a premium.
They are not actually "dumped" by the side of the road, the strip of land between the river and the road is actually owned by the houses opposite and due to some "incidents" previously it is monitored by CCTV.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

definately a 4x4. I want it one god knows why. Just 'cos they exist.
BX 4x4s are absolute wallet-emptiers - especially if you need to replace a gearbox, transfer box or exhaust, and assuming you can even locate the parts. They date from a brief time when every manufacturer bent over backwards to produce a 4x4 as a variant of its major model, and some under-engineered cars resulted. The BX 4x4, sadly, was one of them, despite some sterling work in re-engineering the rear axle and sphere mounting points. Look under the back of a BX and try to imagine what has to be displaced to accomodate a propshaft and rear differential.

Possibly a goer if you own your own farm and/or bespoke engineering workshop. Some bits are interchangeable with the similarly short-lived Peugeot 405 4x4 equivalent but how many of those have you seen lately?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
deltic
BXpert

Re: Two dead BXs in Pangbourne

Post by deltic »

Spotted yesterday by the side of A329 just west of Pangbourne by the Thames a white BX, looked dumped. Sorry no further details, but could be the same spot as the other cars mentioned in this old thread.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
really?
BXpert

Re: Two dead BXs in Pangbourne

Post by really? »

We drove past there a year ago and spotted the same dumped looking Bx, did some door knocking and found the owner. He has had it for some years and is an "enthusiast", also has some bits behind his garage. Not for sale as he is going to rebuild it!!!!!!!