Two dead BXs in Pangbourne

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Kevin B
BXpert

Re: Two dead BXs in Pangbourne

Post by Kevin B »

really? wrote: He has had it for some years and is an "enthusiast", also has some bits behind his garage. Not for sale as he is going to rebuild it!!!!!!!
Let me enlighten you all :)

The silver estate was indeed a 4x4 version, and I drove it there many years ago from Western Super Mare*. It had a custom made stainless steel exhaust system.
This chap also had at the Pangbourne location (as well), another Metalic grey BXGti 4x4 with a busted transmission, this had a full leather interior. The engine ran well, and the suspension worked faultlessly.

The Red BX hatchback was a 1769cc Turbo Diesel (this was his daily hack, and was getting long in the tooth at this point in time).
Not long before he stopped running it, the water pump failed. As a favour to him I changed the timing belt, water pump, camshaft and front crank oil seals. Upon removing the water pump, the bearing had almost disintergrated :shock: , he dodged a bullet on that occasion.

All of the above have now gone to the BX scrapyard in the sky. As a very convincing con man managed to prise these cars out of him, and promptly scrapped them all, not surprisingly he was never seen or heard of ever again.

These cars were owned by a chap who is a retired Harwell scientist (very clever but also very eccentric) who has lots of blue sky thinking ideas but seldom puts them into practice.

* This car was one of seven 4WD BX cars this chap bought from a collector of BX4x4 cars who had them stored at a location in Western Super Mare (he was forced to sell them quickly as he had lost his storage space), as I had access to trade plates I drove them to there present location, the non runners were trailered there by the mad scientist.
Apart from the one I bought and subsequently restored, one Gti 4WD was cut up (as it had bad rust, busted transmission, rotten exhaust, and broken windscreen), the remainder are stored by the scientist geezer at another nearby location, and are slowly rusting away. :shock:

As is always the case, he is going to "restore" them one day :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

really? wrote:Not for sale as he is going to rebuild it!!!!!!!
How many times we heard that one! :roll:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Being a local resident I drove past there yesterday.
There is still one hatch left there. It is a lovely setting for a BX graveyard, right on the banks of the River Thames just upstream of Pangbourne lock.

He has had BXs there for at least 20 years. I suppose he was actually using BXs at the time I first noticed them there.

I remember the guy who took a passionate interest in the 4x4 wanting to preserve them for posterity by buying up those that came onto the market. He set up a website with technical info and praise of the 4x4.
I still have the links to his long defunct site. Jeffrey West was his name I think.

Memories are made of this...................
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Rebuild is never going to happen, its taken me long enough to try & get my tzd turbo back on the road & that was dealing with only the one BX, if i'd had loads off the road, well you get the picture.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.