BX 19 TXD For Sale - 78k - Needs gearbox

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
markiemark

BX 19 TXD For Sale - 78k - Needs gearbox

Post by markiemark »

Unfortunately it is time for my white BX to go. It is in good condition but I am never going to have time to work on it. The gearbox failed 3 weeks into a new MOT. That was over a year ago.

It has a very good blue interior and service history.

Since being off the road it has moved, but more to ensure the suspension rises correctly and the brakes had not seized. Although it moves it cannot be driven due to the gearbox.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Location, price, age of vehicle, milege etc etc?

Also, gearbox "failed"? what's actually gone wrong? All gears failed? or is it the diff?
this might be a signature
markiemark

BX for sale

Post by markiemark »

Mileage: 79,514
Has a non-leaking sunroof.
Has the original metal bonnet, not fibreglass.
Offers

Gearbox: You can select gears. There was knocking on both locks, however when it was MOTed I asked the test about the CV joints and he said they appeared to be fine. It has been a while since I have driven it any distance so the exact symptoms escape me. Assume the worst.

Someone has previous used fibreglass to bodge a repair on the casing so who knows what lies inside. Suprisingly this fact was absent from the 'FSH'.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: BX for sale

Post by Philip Chidlow »

markiemark wrote: Has the original metal bonnet, not fibreglass.
Most BXs had plastic bonnets I think :D Mind you some say the steel bonnets are a better sound insulator.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
markiemark

Post by markiemark »

Yes most do have fibreglass, but a few were made with metal. This is one of those :-)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

markiemark wrote:Someone has previous used fibreglass to bodge a repair on the casing so who knows what lies inside.
I suspect the diff has spat out a pinion tooth. Not common, but it does happen.
this might be a signature
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Most of the late K and L reg ones I've come across have had steel bonnets.

The future for this car look very bleak, n/a diesel BX's aren't the most sort after even when running OK, but without T&T AND a dodgy gearbox, I doubt there'll be many takers on this one.
Pity really as a quick gearbox change could see it run for several years, just too far from me sadly. :(
They think it's all over, it is now!
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

I think our TXD has a metal bonnet, it's a real weight compared to the one on the Hurricane anyway.
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Philip Chidlow wrote:
markiemark wrote: Has the original metal bonnet, not fibreglass.
Most BXs had plastic bonnets I think :D Mind you some say the steel bonnets are a better sound insulator.
Hi, Philip !
To my knowledge your correct I've never seen/come across a fibreglass bonnet its only the Hatchback or Estate Tail gate that was manufactured from a fibreglass construction and the roofing capping strips just as the roof meets the tops of the door's (I'll try and check out the material for the solid 'C' pillar cover's I have a spare pair of those I cut off a MK1 19RD)!
The early MK1's with a 'Longnose' bonnet were made from steel and then they gradually went onto the Plaagy one's for the MK2's (Longnose and Shortnose type) then towards the end of the MK2's production (I've only seen generally 'K' &'L' reg ones) they went back to steel.
Some reports I heard , it was just use up old stock but I'm not 100% sure but someone may know better ?
I still have one of the steel MK1's bonnet but I think it's got signs of rust in the nose area (Thats a longnose type) but I'll be pulling that out to weigh it in with other stuff/steel etc later in the week hopefully.
Also the TXD I've got has is a steel shortnose type (that's reserved for a forum member) as I have a spare Plaggy one to swap it with (That's in White, that's also available if someone needs one or if you need a Metallic Grey they may be one also in Red) be quick as these may all be going for scrap in a day or so ! PM if you need one ?

Back on topic if a forum member buy's this BX from 'markiemark' I maybe able to help them out with the gearbox from the 'K' reg. TXD of mine as there's no interest in it (as it is basically only suitable as a spares donor) !
So there's a good gearbox on that, plus whatever anyone needs if I can help them out !
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

No need to be picky, the 'regular' BX bonnet is GFRP (GLASS FIBRE REINFORCED PLASTIC) its both plastic based resin and fibreglass reinforcement, and perfectly acceptable to call it either. Fibreglass is brittle as hell and has very little strength on its own so will always be used with some sort of epoxy.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Just after I submitted my last posting I had this strange feeling maybe the Plaggy bonnets are in fact Fibreglass :!:

I then remembered I'd seen a diagram somewhere with a breakdown of material construction as used in the BX's :!:

I've just looked in, Believe or not the Hayes manual (Page 253 in mine) and it states the following:-

Symbol - 'SMC'

Material - Sheet moulding compound

Component's - Bonnet, Roof Panel side edges, Rear quarter panels (For the 'C' pillar solid type)

Symbol - 'BMC'

Material - Bulk moulding compound

Components - Tailgate (No other components listed) !

So the only 'Real ' plaggy parts are the Front and Rear vent grilles and the front and rear bumper (But not the bumpers on 16 Valvers).

I do remember though when stripping one of the MK's to just a shell and then cutting it up into about 6 pieces, the roof panel sides edges did look like a Fibreglass type material :!:

So I guess its as Vanny has stated its "its both plastic based resin and Fibreglass reinforcement, and perfectly acceptable to call it either"

Sorry if I caused any confusion.