1992 TXD Turbo - requires some work

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tourist
BXpert

1992 TXD Turbo - requires some work

Post by Tourist »

Sadly my TXD Turbo is now SORN, so I'm advertising it here for sale without tax. It has full mot which is questionable, and it's unlikely to pass the next one.

You're all aware that some work needs to be done on this BX, although it can drive it can't do it well.

Open to offers as I'd rather see it go to a club member than anywhere else, but please I can't give it away for free.

Thanks for looking.
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

car

Post by chriscarterstevens »

have a friend in mind, do you have a ball-park figure?
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I'm unsure on the value of the car, I've been advised to advertise for between £150 and £200. Some, if not all of the work can be done by a competent home mechanic which I am not.

If I were I'd be keeping it ...
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

Post by chriscarterstevens »

rest assured it has been mentioned, have you considered it might be an advantage to leave the tax on it.

that way, it might be worth that amount, maybe a smidgen more...

just a thought
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I was considering leaving tax on the car but I need the tax refund money now rather than later, so it's now living on a farm nearby.

I'm no longer insured on the vehicle so can't tax it myself; the potential buyer would have to either tax it themselves or take it back on a trailer, sorry :(
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

This is a really sad or even tragic situation.

We've all lost money on cars over the years, my biggest loss was on the CX
2K in a very short space of time.

It's a pity no practical help was forth coming. I know some of us find BX's fairly straight forward cars to work on, but at Tourist's age, I was working on Vauxhall Viva's and Morris 1000s, so to lift the bonnet and work on a turbo diesel BX would have been a very daunting task.

I live too far away to offer any practical help and have very little time to spare even to fix my own cars right now. The best offer I could have made was to bring your car here and leave it until I could find time to sort it out.

Your plan to get rid of it may be your best option and put it down to experience abeit a bad one.

One further thing as someone has already said, selling a car without tax is going to be almost impossible, if you still have the disc, sell it as an extra to the car.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

It is a sad situation, who knows maybe one day I'll be able to buy it back. Maybe not. I'd definitely get another BX in the future, but I'd be more careful about it now I've learnt how wrong things can go if you're not careful and buy in good faith.

Getting such a car at 18 years old and with next to no mechanical know-how was a step too far, I just can't deal with it myself although I've tried having it looked at, and looking at it myself.

The tax disc was sent off earlier today, I'm sorry to say :( to be honest I wasn't expecting much interest from you people on here seeing as all I've done is complain about my car ... I should be getting a good £150 back so not much lost in that department, but an over-all loss of between £400-£700 which was the last of my savings money, and my 18th birthday money. You live and learn ...

I suppose the important question is would anyone be prepared to offer me anything for the car?
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Its a shame its had to come to this, its worth more in parts to be honest rather than a whole car, seeing as its got some large issues which havent been diagnosed fully, so its bit of an unknown for people.

I dont think it would be worth anymore with the tax imho. No way you can just keep it & start taking it apart whilst going on a mechanics course?

Talking of losing money, at least you didnt suffer from depreciation, i'd hate to think how many grand me & my wife have lost over the years. Even our clio which we paid £6k for, we sold for £2200 after 3 years ownership, that was still a bit of a shock.

Just out of interest, is it possible to run your car even if the turbo is knackered? Ok it'll only be like a n/a 1.7, but if it moves then thats all that matters. Again, if rear arm bearings are a bit worn, unless they are noticeably wearing the tyres out, just leave em till funds allow.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

The car does drive, providing you can bump or jump start it. I took the radio out, still no better. I'm not sure if the battery is recharging at all when the car is driving but I haven't taken it for a long run in a while - the last drive I did was about 10 miles, and the battery was DEAD when I got to my destination.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the fuse box, or a relay or something. When the key is turned there's a clicking from the relay box and then nothing, other times the starter will turn but there's no enough power there to get the engine going.

I have thought about keeping it but long term, I'm unsure about permission on the farm and tbh I need the money a lot more than the car.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

If it's of any help I have trade insurance and could possibly collect this and take it somewhere for you Tourist if someone can fix it up for you? Assuming it drives and is taxed I could jump a train to your's and take it wherever (within reason, so not the Outer Hebrides for example!) if someone could fix it for you.
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ps even though 'we' know the work required it'd be worth listing it on here as non (and new) members could weigh it up and I'd also suggest saying what area you're from as it would help with the sale.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Just a thought! :idea:

IF YOU ARE THE ROBBING BASTARD THAT SOLD THIS CAR TO THIS LAD AND ROBBED HIM OF HIS SAVINGS. I HOPE YOUR BLOODY BOAT SINKS PAL!
They think it's all over, it is now!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Just an idea...that might help out Tourist AND get someone a "project"!!!
How about someone with a roadworthy BX, that fancies a go at doing up Tourists, does some kind of "swap deal"???
That would keep the TZD in the fold, and also give Tourist a "working" BX!!

Anyone fancy that kind of deal???
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, cavmad that's nice of you to offer, but I'd feel like I'm asking a lot of you to do that and plus, we'd need to find somewhere for it to go.

Mountainman that's a good idea that I never actually thought about, but again it's asking a lot of someone to trade a fully working car for mine, and then for them to spend time and money fixing it up?

Thanks again for all your replies on this.

P.S. ken newbold (sorry don't know your real name) I was in Wakefield yesterday, probably the furthest north I've been or it comes close. Have you heard of First Choice Cars I think they're called? Used car garage. I traveled 3 hours each way to come and see a car, turns out they LIED in the advert and it wasn't what I wanted! 6 hours on the road for nothing, and they couldn't give a damn. I hope you're not all like that up north :lol:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Wouldn't be a problem dependant on time Tourist and quite happy to help out.
The only other suggestion I can think of for now would be a sort of 'mini meet' where people could get together and try and sort it out for you somewhere, perhaps central England if possible? I don't have many BX parts left at all but you'd be welcome to them if needed and I'll gladly lend a handf trying to sort your's out. As Ken said you've been stitched up by some rogue and that's not the done thing.
Vauxhall apologist.