BX 14 or 16 wanted.....first car :D

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

BX 14 or 16 wanted.....first car :D

Post by rangebyte »

Hi all!

I have fallen in love with the Citroen BX! I was just about to buy a 14 when someone snapped it up. Its such a nice car, and cheap on insurance as well! (i'm only 18).

What i'm looking for is a tidy 14 with a decent history for under £1k. Im not fussed about spec levels, even the most basic would make me happy

Any help is much appreciated!

Chris :D :P
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Chris, welcome aboard, 1.4 petrols are quite scarce but are nice and cheap to run. Go for the later "tu" engines cars (1988 onwards), they werent available with power steering so worth trying one first as they are quite heavy when parking.

Here is alovely example.

http://www.carandclassic.com/car/C75456/
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rangebyte »

Thats the one ive been trying to get hold of recently. They answer the phone and then as soon as you mention the car hang up :(

It close as well :(

I could maybe push to a 16?
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

Mine is a 16 without PAS and its pretty damn heavy when parking but not really all that bad unless you are a woman (haha) and its nice when driving, good feel for the road. I do wish the tight 1st owner had ordered it though as in tight spaces it can be a PITA. I believe the 16 does basically the same MPG though and is obviously a bit quicker (still not fast lol) so might be worth the bigger engine if you can?
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rangebyte »

Yeah. What im looking for is someone on the sight looking to get rid of theirs or know of someone....i was guessing it would be well looked after :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My advice would be a 16. They are relatively plentiful compared to an 88-on 14. What's more they are (for some odd reason) not popular so don't command high prices. They do quite often turn up having been bought by someone who did little miles and yet kept it well: There have been some very low milers fairly recently - most in good order but not at high prices, generally. The 16, whilst not as economical as a 14, are far more refined and IMHO an excellent way into BX-ownership.

I had a 16TGS (with dealer-fitted PAS) that was great. Sort of wish the lure of 16v ownership hadn't been so strong...

A couple of examples of recent ones:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-1-6-TX ... 0360671054

OK it's LHD :roll: :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-16-TRS ... 0353526433
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BTW where are you?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rangebyte »

ahh the lure of the 16 :P

kinda wish that first one wasnt sold :(
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rangebyte »

Oh im in dundee atm.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum!

You're better off going for a 14 I would say, although a bit underpowered you'll still have a really nice BX, and when you consider how much a BX weighs then it's not that bad really.

If you're looking for insurance companies who are good for people our age, try Quinn Direct [http://www.quinn-direct.com/car-insurance/] and also Endsleigh [http://www.endsleigh.co.uk/car-insurance.html] who give special discounts for students.

Good luck, and remember service history is important on cars this age, as I found out.
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rangebyte »

Yeah insurance wise its deffinetly Quinn...£926 for a 14 XD

Still no one with any vehicles though :(
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

It's a bit of a waiting game, a few will come along at once or that's what tends to happen.

It might be a good idea to take someone from the forum with you to go and see the car before you buy, that way you'll have piece of mind that it's all ok. That is if anyone's close, and willing?
rangebyte
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rangebyte »

Yeah insurance wise its deffinetly Quinn...£926 for a 14 XD

Still no one with any vehicles though :(
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

Post by 350ci muppet »

hi mate welcome to the forum my first car was a 1.4 st tropez was the best car ive had on the road pics are on here is you search my threads if your interested

Paul
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

If you're looking to run the car for sensible money, you're better going for a 14. They are definitely more economic than a 16. 45mpg is easily possible from a 14, but 35 is more like it with a 16. The 14 falls into the cheaper tax bracket, and I've no doubt would be significantly cheaper to insure as a young driver.

The £100-£150 you might save on buying a 16 over a 14 will be insignificant compared to all the other costs that are involved in running a car.

I would say look at a 17D/19D, but I suspect they won't be too cheap to insure compared to a 14.
this might be a signature