bx 14 tge for sale

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Barrie James wrote:There's been a lot of chat about BX14s recently, and some have said they're underpowered.
Thinking back, I believe the only person who's actually said they're underpowered is mr Tourist, who AFAIK has never actually driven a BX14....

I've driven both the suitcase engine'd BX14 and a TU engine'd BX14, and whilst they are no rocket ship, they hold their own quite well. Not powerful, but also not underpowered by any means.

Speaking of TU engines, A BX with a 1.6 TU engine in would have been an excelent car. Probably quite a bit more economic than the XU BX16, and definitely more refined. Shame it never happened.
this might be a signature
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The 14E Leader with the suitcase lump I had amazed me out how nippy it was, yes you had to keep the revs up and use the gearbox but it was by no means slow. 72bhp in a car weighting 900kgs is alot better power to rate than quite a few modern cars. A Golf Mk5 1.4 has 75bhp and weighs nearly 1250kgs! :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

So only 3 bhp more but a over a third more in weight ( im good at maths me :o )

a friend of mine has a mk5 golf , ( shes got rich parents :twisted: )
she dropped her phone down the side of the seat and had to take the car to the dealership to get it back , even then they had to take the whole seat out to get to the phone .

who says modern inventions are better
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The height control lever slot in my BX's have seen their fair share of mints, coins and crisps disappear into their recesses over the years! Luckily phones are still too big, but an iPod shuffle might slip down there :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Susan Donym wrote:So only 3 bhp more but a over a third more in weight ( im good at maths me :o )

a friend of mine has a mk5 golf , ( she's got no taste and knows nothing about cars :twisted: )
she dropped her phone down the side of the seat and had to take the car to the dealership to get it back , even then they had to take the whole seat out to get to the phone .

who says modern inventions are better
I'd have kept the phone and thrown the car away!
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Barrie James wrote:There's been a lot of chat about BX14s recently, and some have said they're underpowered.
Speaking of TU engines, A BX with a 1.6 TU engine in would have been an excelent car. Probably quite a bit more economic than the XU BX16, and definitely more refined. Shame it never happened.
Agreed, same goes for any XU5 engined car. The TU5 wasn't released until just after the BX's demise sadly. They could never make it from the all alloy TU lump at the time (available in 954cc, 1124cc and 1360cc), as the engine featured wet liners, 1360cc being the largest they could use.
It wasn't until they redesigned the block on the hotter models like the AX GTi and 106 XSi/Rallye which needed stronger internals to go with the high compression pistons, hence the switch to iron on those models.
And of course, by switching to iron they bought themselves some extra room to bore out with, hence the 1587cc TU5 arriving in the revised 106 XSi in 1995.
Since then it's found a home in the 106, 206, 306 and Saxo VTR, Xsara, Picasso and Berlingo. It's a sturdy lump, just really dull. But good on fuel!

Now strap a Saxo VTS head to that block and you're away!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Roverman wrote:The 14E Leader with the suitcase lump I had amazed me out how nippy it was, yes you had to keep the revs up and use the gearbox but it was by no means slow. 72bhp in a car weighting 900kgs is alot better power to rate than quite a few modern cars. A Golf Mk5 1.4 has 75bhp and weighs nearly 1250kgs! :shock:
Did the Leader have 72bhp? I thought it was 62bhp in the base models and 72bhp in the RE and TGE. Not that it matters :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The standard 14E has 62bhp and a 4 speeder but the Leader had an whopping extra 10bhp and 5 speed box.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Thinking back, I believe the only person who's actually said they're underpowered is mr Tourist, who AFAIK has never actually driven a BX14....
What?! If you remember I said the 14 would make a good first car!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Tourist wrote:
DavidRutherford wrote:
Quite, but you did state that they were underpowered too...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

jonathan_dyane wrote:
Tourist wrote:
DavidRutherford wrote:Thinking back, I believe the only person who's actually said they're underpowered is mr Tourist, who AFAIK has never actually driven a BX14....
Quite, but you did state that they were underpowered too...
About half way down this page.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Please lets get back on topic and forget who said what and help this guy find a car please! a 14 petrol would feel underpowered to some and not to others, it depends on what your used too, for the likes of me with a 16v and GT it would be a wit bit pedestrian in comparison.

Theres the 14TGE from Chris, the 14E from Cornwall if you fancy a trip or that 16 Athena in Chesterfield so plenty to go at!

If you want a hand to look at that Athena in chesterfield let me know as its not far away from me.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I think the 14E leader can be excluded from that list, on grounds of it not being a proven going concern in any way - stored BXs and other hydropneumatic Citroens can deteriorate very fast.

Dundee to Cornwall to Dundee is a long way to travel for something that's an unknown quantity, and definitely will need trailering and almost certainly much more.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

Post by chriscarterstevens »

if i am correct, the last time i spoke to rangebyte he had decided to settle for an ax. best to confirm this with him, but thats what was last discussed.

:shock:
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

An ideal car for a young driver from an insurance point of view, but I suspect Dundee will break an AX very quickly!