FOR SALE: BX Pilot 1.5

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I've had this pointed out to me in the past, and with good reason. I have learned the hard way I guess, but now I expect to take a hit when I sell.

Despite wanting to recoup as much of the cost of getting a car into a sound condition as possible, you can't really count expect to get anything like what you spend on a BX.

I have to say, given the cosmetic condition of the car, guaranteed age-related issues and the fact it's an early Mk. 2 16 petrol, you will struggle I'm afraid to sell the car. OK it's a rare special (but only of interest to some BX buffs) and has new MOT.

Sad to say, but (this is only my opinion) your best bet is eBay, but you should be pragmatic and expect a couple of hundred.

However, a day spent cleaning, T-cutting polishing will help - and tidy the wheels (try some cheapo wheeltrims too) - but that dented door will put many off spending too much.

So what to do? Tidy her up and use her for a few more months - then sell with 6+ months MOT and a couple of month's tax...?
Wishing you good luck Carolyn. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
CarolynN8

Post by CarolynN8 »

It's the annual dilemma for me with this car unfortunately. You can appreciate that after spending all this on it, I might as well drive it for another year as getting something else will cost me far more. Probably end up part exchanging it in the end. But thanks for all your feedback

Out of interest, which (if any) of the new Citroens do you rate as comparable to the BX? I'd want a hatchback, but otherwise open to suggestion.
Carolyn
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, give the car some TLC and a bit of a scrub up and it's still as cheap a motoring you'll find. And it's a BX. Never to be undersetimated when it comes to driving satisfaction :lol:
CarolynN8 wrote:Out of interest, which (if any) of the new Citroens do you rate as comparable to the BX? I'd want a hatchback, but otherwise open to suggestion.
Well I'd say the C4 but as I kept banging my head on the A pillar when I borrowed one, I ended up cursing the thing. I'd consider the C3 Picasso myself.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Interestingly, that's not the same interior as the one I drove & was driven in in the late 80s - that had a completely black or very dark navy blue interior I've not seen elsewhere (except on one 19 estate).

Sadly, Carolyn, I'd have to agree with all the comments above about valuation/work done - but at least you have comfortable transport for the next year.

Of current Citroens, and for ride, probably the closest to a BX will be the C5 if it isn't the latest version, of which most ride on steel springs rather than hydraulics. I don't think you're in the market for one somehow, though. I personally wouldn't go for any C5, myself, unless it was cheap and an estate. I'd also expect it to be expensive to run (a £50ish visit to the garage for a computer reset is called for if one of the headlamp bulbs is changed). It's also a lot bigger overall.

Xantias - the successor to the BX - can offer good value for money, though opinion on them is divided here along the lines of loving and loathing, and they got considerably more complicated than the BX (extra hydraulic spheres to stop them sinking or for ride control).

Zxs and the very similar Xsaras that followed them can make cheap transport, but they, like the newer C4, are a little smaller than the BX.

For a practical Citroen you can easily load up with almost anything (luggage, bicycles, something that needs to be taken to the tip, passengers of all shapes sizes and ages), the Berlingo is hard to beat, though it certainly won't drive like a BX.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I agree with you David, it looks to have the later TZD/GTi P2 seats fitted, the Pilot models I remember always had a chevron patten the same as Mk1 P1 Gti models.

Carolyn do the door cards match the seats?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....