Estate hatch glass or complete hatch

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Estate hatch glass or complete hatch

Post by DLM »

Had an unfortunate incident today with a bunjee clip that detached itself from the load it was securing and whacked the rear hatch glass on my estate. My own silly fault. Hence I need to replace my hatch glass or source a complete estate rear hatch (the car is in Venetian Red).

I'm pretty skint at the moment, so would possibly be limited to an exchange deal for other BX parts if someone has what I'm looking for.

Also, if anyone can advise on the likelihood of availability through windscreen fitters I'd be grateful.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Will you be at Stratford? If so I can check (and obtain if required) at a scrapyard on the way...they did have one in but it's about 50 miles away so too far to pop and have a look!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

What a bummer Dave. There are enough trouble spots on a BX without an own goal like this one.
Looking at my insurance policy, broken glass is covered with a £75gbp excess. If you have similar insurance this might be the best option.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Many thanks for replies -

(i) Think I'll only be at Stratford if I can get this fixed before then ... many thanks for offer of help though. Suspect logistics may be difficult as I suspect that a BX estate hatch won't fit inside a BX of either persuasion.

(ii) Haven't checked through insurance yet - but knowing my current insurers there'll be a hefty excess so examining all routes. There is a non-matching old hatch from my last estate available to me but it requires a pretty long drive to get there....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

As it happens, I should have a chance to be in the area next week so I phoned up the scrapyard, who still have the BX in. They want £25 for the tailgate, but can't be certain that it's still there. If you will be at Stratford, (or there's someone there who can store it for you) I can grab it if you want?
The car is the one in the following thread.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Our posts must have crossed...space won't be a problem for me as I'm bringing the van :D
If it's not raining perhaps you could drive up and we fit the tailgate there?

Or could you take the glass out of your old tailgate that Chris has? It doesn't look to be bonded in.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mat_fenwick wrote: Or could you take the glass out of your old tailgate that Chris has? It doesn't look to be bonded in.
Hi Mat, they are definitely bonded in as it make up part of the structural strength of the Tailgate !
What you can see is just a rubber trim between the Tailgate and the actual glass which is boned in simultaneously with the actual glass !
It is very difficult to prevent damage to these rubber trims and if you were lucky enough to cut the glass out without it crystallizing into a million odd pieces you need to probably need to buy a new rubber trim as this is often the case when window fitter's try and reuse them especially with O/E front rubber trims as they are extremely flexible and tend to stretch in length. Then they end up putting in an after market natural type rubber seal which tends to be a matt finish rather than the shiny O/E silicone rubber type.
So don't even try it ! IMHO its much easier/better solution just to get one re-painted if its the wrong colour at least you know that way it will be a more successful repair, and to get one bonded in costs approx. £30 by a Glass fitting place if you supply your own glass and trim !
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

DLM,
Just remembered this possible option too ! :-
cjmerlin wrote:Car still available, gone at the end of the month.
From this THREAD if its still available and you get the rest of the car attached to the Tailgate also :lol:
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Many thanks again for all replies - the best option for now looks to be the old tailgate in silver though I'll need to drive up some way from the South Coast to get there. With a secure and dry tailgate I could then look at other options with the original, or a repaint.