For sale, XM 2.1td estate

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ken newbold
Over 2k

For sale, XM 2.1td estate

Post by ken newbold »

I bought this car as a stop gap to keep me on the road until I sorted my own XM out back in March, however I've still not sorted it out but now have a ZX estate which should be on the road next week.

It's an L reg 2.1 turbo diesel estate with tax until end October and MOT until March. It's proved to be very reliable and unbelievably economical. Everything works, sunroof, windows, ABS and both info displays. It had a new headgasket and clutch just before I bought it.

The bad bits, it has a small dent in the offside front wing and the paint on top of the tailgate is not too good. These could be fixed by a friend of mine cheaply if you wanted. The clutch pedal is a bit creaky, I need to undo the cable and lubricate it. The aircon needs re-gassing, it was de-gassed by the previous owner when he did the clutch. Other than that the car is fine.

I'm looking for £350 for it, anyone who's ever fancied an XM, this would be a good introduction to ownership as I feel it takes the gamble out of buying a cheap XM.

I thought I'd offer it on here first to give you guys chance.

Regards Ken :)

Oh, forgot to mention the colour, it's green of course :lol:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Been working away and travelled 200 miles in this old bus today. Car fully laden with all my work junk and she still returns almost 60 mpg :o Before you tell me that's not possible for a 2.1td XM, I know!

Each time I fuel up, I put £20 in and I always have to fuel up again when the clock say 245 miles. And thats all town work. :shock:
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Semi interested. It would mean getting rid of my TZD which I'm reluctant to do....can you provide a bit more info Ken.
How many miles?
Why was the HG replaced and was it replaced with the later type/more reliable gasket?
How are the strut tops?
What trim level is it?
Has it been or is it smoked in?
What fuel pump is on it...Bosch?
How old are the spheres?
What other work has been done on it? (e.g. electric window cables?)
What other foreseeable work is pending over the next year say?
Ta!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

From memory it's done about 175k, Mulley might confirm this, he's had a test drive in it today.

The previous owner bought the car from ebay, spares or repair with a failed headgasket, it had been stored for about 3 years prior to this. All the bills are included and it did have the reinforced head gasket fitted, it cost him well over £300 to do the job himself. I think he did the clutch at the same time.

The strut tops are shedding their rubber coating. I suppose it would be wise to take them out and have a closer inspection. I do have some spare ones but they did cost me £50 each.

Trim level, I don't know, it does have electric seats and everything the same as my other XM which is an SED.

I don't think it's been smoked in, once I've got all my junk out of the car, the interior is clean and tidy and no bad smells.

It has a Bosch fuel pump.

I've no idea how old the spheres are, I've just fitted a new accumulator, but the car rides very well.

Without going through the tons of paperwork that came with it, I can't really say what else has been done. All the windows work including the sunroof.

The only problem I've had with it was one morning one of the rear pipes burst due to a nasty rust blob on it. I dropped the rear subframe and joined a new piece of pipe in, had a good look at the other pipes to ensure no futher impending disasters and refitted the subframe.

The cambelt was changed with the HG, that's all I can tell you, what else it might need I HONESTLY can't say.

It's a decent car, not perfect but very comfortable, reliable and economical. I've currently got 4 cars here and something has to go.

My old XM I've had almost 5 years would be the last to go.
The ZX estate, I just bought.
The BX auto I had given is a winter restoration project as it will fit in the garage.
And this one :?
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thanks Ken. All sounds great. If it didn't mean getting rid of the TZD I'd bite your arm off - nothing's ever simple is it? :x
1990 BX TGD White
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

No problem :)

Here's a few more pics of the car showing the rear incl towbar, the mileage 177k the small dent in the front o/s wing, the dodgy paint on top of the tailgate and the type and colour of seats.

click on image for larger view.

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Sigh.....and drool.......I can even lay my hands on a black leather interior too..........
How do hill starts work what with being a manual and the foot hand brake?
Do you have a time frame to get rid?
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Whilst I remember, whoever buys the car should check the harmonic balancer pulley (the large aux pulley on the crank shaft) as mine perished and the rubber part wrapped itself around the timing belt and 'broke the engine'. AFAIK they are on all 2.1s and the 1.9TDs as well. Not cheap to replace though :cry:
1990 BX TGD White
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

BX Bandit wrote:Whilst I remember, whoever buys the car should check the harmonic balancer pulley (the large aux pulley on the crank shaft) as mine perished and the rubber part wrapped itself around the timing belt and 'broke the engine'. AFAIK they are on all 2.1s and the 1.9TDs as well. Not cheap to replace though :cry:
Vibration pulley dampers are fitted to most modern Diesel vehicles especially those with a Serpentine drive belt to drive all the different auxiliary items i.e. PAS pump or HP pump on Hydraulic Citroen's, Alternator, A/C pump.

My brother needed a replacement pulley for his XM 2.5TD when his disintegrated on him (LINK to the old XM forum where it was discussed) !

My XM 2.5TD VSX has started to squeal on starting up of the engine but tends to stop/settle down once warmed up, but its definitely on its way out as I marked a white line with 'Tipex' (Correction Fluid) from the centre boss, across the rubber bond-line to the outer grooved pulley and when I started the engine a few squeals were made by the pulley and upon inspection after switching the engine off, it could be seen that the outer pulley bond line of the rubber has failed because the white lines are not aligned with the centre boss, as previously prior to starting of the engine !

As stated already these pulleys are not particularly cheap from the main-stealer's but I have found an e-bayer (on E-Bay.FR) whose prices are much cheaper and who will post to the UK (I've just E-mailed them for a postage/price to the UK) another e-bay.FR LINK which quote £12.56 (14 Euro's) postage but their 2.5TD pulleys cost more £52.19 (56.80 Euro's) so I'll wait and see what the postage is from the other E-bayer whose pulley is £41.26 (44.90 Euros) and then decide which one to order (But for sure which ever one I buy it will be much cheaper than a O/E from Citroen @ £151.94 :shock: ) !

I hope this is of help for anyone needing a Replacement 'Pulley Vibration Damper'.
Last edited by RxBX on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Good info RxBx. It's interesting that your's squealed. Mined didn't and just failed at the traffic lights - just as if someone had pulled the supply to the stop solenoid - no noise or warning whatsoever!
1990 BX TGD White
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Bandit, I've just joined the XM club, and I have to say, you *need* one, I'm loving mine...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

:lol: I do 'need' one! I've been meaning to ask how yours is going. Obviously very enjoyable! I believe another member is also after Ken's XM and is in far more urgent need than me so I'll give it a miss, for now at least. I just feel so at home in a BX that I really don't want to get rid!
1990 BX TGD White
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

just get the damn thing bought Bandit, you know you want it
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Fuck me that's an ace car for the money. In the same boat as others at the moment (skint) but would love to try and get the money together.
Vauxhall apologist.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

:lol: I do want it Vanny, but...but...but...but....My sentiments too Cavmad, a massive amount of car for the money! This is the closest I've come to XM ownership! (apart from when I bid for one on ebay, reading it had done 25K.......but my mate pointed out it had done 250K!!!) :oops: My first and only bid retraction!
1990 BX TGD White