4x4 nolonger for sale. Gonna fix it :D

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
christhelion
BXpert

4x4 nolonger for sale. Gonna fix it :D

Post by christhelion »

sorry to mess y'all about. I've been reading what you guys do to save BX's and I thought I'm such a fraud of a classic car owner. I'm an automotive designer not a mechanic but I'm gonna have a go.. I'm more of a learnt-through-only-being-able-to-afford-to-fix-things-myself. I'll be asking a lot of questions I'm sure coz there seems little that you guys don't know.

I've spent too much on it to scrap it and I just can't bring myself to. I've never liked a car as much. I'm just scared it seems like a lot of of work.. but once I'm into it, I'm sure it'll seem managable. the one thing I can't tackle on my own is the clutch change.. does anyone know anywhere that isn't gonna quote me £1100 like I was quoted earlier in the year. I don't have the equipment for it and I don't feel completely comfident tackling it on my own anyway.
1992 BX GTi 4x4 in silver with all the extras. (sold and missed)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R E1
2000 Gilera DNA 50
2000 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
2009 Ford Focus ST-3 225
Borrowed 2006 Kawasaki ZZR 1400
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Good man, you know it makes sense. People will help, so do ask. Whilst only having a meagre TD, until I learnt to weld I dreaded any rust. Now I'm n ot bothered as, thanks to a member of another site, I can now weld and rust no longer bothers me! So go for it, learn the skills and make it your baby. It'll be a rare one that's for sure! Hardcore decision mate!!! Well done :P :P :P :P :P
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Excellent! Best of luck!!! A credit to yourself.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
christhelion
BXpert

Post by christhelion »

Cheers. It's more that anything I do would be half a job due to lack of equipment and not really knowing the car at all. I'm not worried about doing the head gasket on my sportsbike but then, all I need to do with that is undo the mounting bolts and let the engine down on a jack. Easy :D
My theoretical knowledge is good, have a degree in motorsport and motorcycle engineering and although I have worked on cars and bikes.. I don't really know a lot about the hydraulics in the citroen and don't want to break anything due to my ignorance.
But yeah, I'll be asking a lot of questions. One of them being now, valve stem seals need doing.. does the head need to come off or can it be done without on that engine?
1992 BX GTi 4x4 in silver with all the extras. (sold and missed)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R E1
2000 Gilera DNA 50
2000 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
2009 Ford Focus ST-3 225
Borrowed 2006 Kawasaki ZZR 1400
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well done dude!

Er, ok, yes the valve stem seals can be done without removing the head, but you'd need to make a special tool up, and frankly, it's easier to do with the head on a bench, happily it's a very engine to work on, and removing the head is childsplay compared to many other engines.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...