Vacuum Advance unit wanted for BX14TE 1990

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Vacuum Advance unit wanted for BX14TE 1990

Post by the_baron »

Hi

Well latest news on the St Tropez, the huge LHM leak has been traced to the main return from the front hight corrector. This had already been repaired using fuel line and this had failed as it wasn't oil proof!

So the whole area was cleaned up and the old repair replaced with LHM safe pipe.

Whilst the car was being given the once over it was discovered that the Vacuum advance unit on the distributor was not working probably due to a rupture of the diaphram. This might explain the odd running of the car.

The car has the XU 1.4 engine and the distributor is a bosch type. Has anyone got one of these spare or know where I might be able to locate a new one?

Cheers

Matt
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
1986 Wartburg 353S Tourist
1973 Ami 8 Club Centrafuge
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Phew. See? Told you it wouldn't be a serious leak! Easy to get green-puddle paranoia though...
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Hi Matt,

I've just had the same problem, and spent a loooong time trying to source a diaphragm unit. The answer I've had is "You can't" :roll:

There ARE companies who rebuild distributors at a price - look in any of the classic magazines, but they won't sell you a vacuum capsule on its own.

What I did discover, courtesy of Citronut on here, is that the dizzies seem to be interchangeable - mine was a Bosch, and a Ducelliér Malcom sold me plugged straight in.

It's well worth getting fixed though - the performance difference is amazing ... so's the improved fuel economy.
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

Will a dizzy from a 1.9 XU engine fit a 1.4 or is that not going to work?

Seems daft to have to replace a whole dizzy just cos this bit that bolts on the side is busted.

Is a 2nd hand unit the way forward or is it scour the scrappers for an AX dizzy?
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Re: Vacuum Advance unit wanted for BX14TE 1990

Post by jonathan_dyane »

the_baron wrote:Whilst the car was being given the once over it was discovered that the Vacuum advance unit on the distributor was not working probably due to a rupture of the diaphram. This might explain the odd running of the car.

The car has the XU 1.4 engine and the distributor is a bosch type. Has anyone got one of these spare or know where I might be able to locate a new one?
Hi Matt, nice to see you over this way, how's things?

I've just looked at pr-net, and it seems that if your RP number (four digits stencilled on to passenger-side A-pillar) is between 4193 and 5439 the vacuum unit is still available from Citroen for £30.42, and should RP no. be after 5439 £17.01. Alas if it's under 4193 it's scrapyard time...

Incidentally, you have the TU engine, the XU in the BX was 1.6 and 1.9.

Best,
Jonathan.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

PS, I'm very envious of the Wartburg; is it the one that Mike Simms had?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

jonathan_dyane wrote:PS, I'm very envious of the Wartburg; is it the one that Mike Simms had?
Hi Jonathan
This is my wartburg, but its now on 14 inch ermscher alloys.

[/url]
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Baron Matt,

glad to see that you've joined the fraternity. I spotted this on ebay.de yesterday and it looks as though it might fit. He says he'll only post to Germany but I could ask him if you're interested or post it here and I'll forward. That's if it's actually the part you need? No idea what this'll go for as it's new

Distributor 14
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That looks like the one. I must say, I hadn't really noticed a problem but if it goes better when replaced then it's even nippier than I thought.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have probably got a S/H AX dizzy lurking in a corner at my workshop,

not sure what make it is though, i will look tomorow,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Surely theres a 205/309 AX etc knocking about somewhere, what happened to the 14TGE that Cartman bought off Owen, did that get broken?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

toddao wrote:Baron Matt,

glad to see that you've joined the fraternity. I spotted this on ebay.de yesterday and it looks as though it might fit. He says he'll only post to Germany but I could ask him if you're interested or post it here and I'll forward. That's if it's actually the part you need? No idea what this'll go for as it's new

Distributor 14
looks like the one, I can see the Bosch logo on it. The flipping thing i need is only screwed onto the side of the dizzy as you can see.

Can we keep an eye on it just in case? No paypal so I'm not sure how sort that.
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

citronut wrote:i have probably got a S/H AX dizzy lurking in a corner at my workshop,

not sure what make it is though, i will look tomorow,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
Hi Malcolm I'm based in Hemel Hempstead at the moment, if you have one then please let me know :-)
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The Baron wrote
No paypal so I'm not sure how sort that.
That's quite typical in Germany - people seem a bit wary of it and prefer bank transfers. Anyway, it's €7 at the moment with just over three days to go Matt. If you do want it, tell me what your limit is and I'll bid on it for you and pay then forward and you can renumerate me with Paypal.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

toddao wrote:The Baron wrote
No paypal so I'm not sure how sort that.
That's quite typical in Germany - people seem a bit wary of it and prefer bank transfers. Anyway, it's €7 at the moment with just over three days to go Matt. If you do want it, tell me what your limit is and I'll bid on it for you and pay then forward and you can renumerate me with Paypal.
Todd I've PM'd you
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez