Id like to get a BX!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Searjeant

Id like to get a BX!

Post by Searjeant »

Hi everyone,
Im Dan, Im looking into getting a first car at the moment and earlier today a BX really caught my eye, and now they're at the top of my list! Id really love to get one, theres something really great about them, I love the slightly whacky spage age design by bertone and I also kinda like the fact that most people wouldnt look twice at one if you know what I mean?
and from what I hear they're good to drive, so thats important too ;)

anyway,
Ideally I would like to get a BX hatch, preferably not an estate, and I live in cambridge so would need to be near cambs, ( I would also quite like any of the Citroens of that era with the air suspension, like the CX and a few others, but I dont know if anyone on here has any of those)

I woulld consider anything, Id love to rescue one which would otherwise be scrapped but it would be good to get a not too far off road worthy one of course, preferably nothing too far gone with rust etc. but of course, im open to any offers!

Price wise, (sorry, I hate saying this, I dont mean to sound like im begging) free or as little money as possible is, of course, ideal, so i have more money to spend getting the car up to scratch and looking nice! let me know what you want for the car.

let me know if you have anything! Im hoping this will be a car I can maintain and keep for the rest of my life if money etc. permits, not just use it for a bit then scrap it. Im sentimental and would find it hard to part with my first car!

thanks everyone,
Dan
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Could be do-able, depending on budget: but beware insurance??? Not sure. Great drive though.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Howdy. Glad you're enthusiastic about our BoXy Citroens. They can certainly be bought cheaply at the moment, so a good time to buy.

For info though, and to save much aggro later, the suspension is not air but hydropneumatic - effectively it uses oil and displacers filled with nitrogen gas. Very cool but you need to be aware that they can spring leaks at times - you soon learn the key points!

All very much part of the fun though.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You could do a lot worse than this, is my guess. Won't be trouble-free (given its age), but should be basically sound and a decent seller too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-CITROEN-BX17 ... 0405845307
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

Good to have you join us.

Almost all BXs are cheap, the important thing is to choose well, or you could be in for a lot of work/expense which could have been avoided .
(This is, of course, the rule with all older cars.)

If you spend a few hours reading old posts on this forum, you will become
well aquainted with the most common potential problems.

As these cars are all over 15 years old now,a well looked after BX may well have had some of the known failure points recently replaced.

Any BX will provide some 'issues' which will have to be dealt with, but I have had lots of fun from mine.

cheers,

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Searjeant

Post by Searjeant »

Dollywobbler wrote:Howdy. Glad you're enthusiastic about our BoXy Citroens. They can certainly be bought cheaply at the moment, so a good time to buy.

For info though, and to save much aggro later, the suspension is not air but hydropneumatic - effectively it uses oil and displacers filled with nitrogen gas. Very cool but you need to be aware that they can spring leaks at times - you soon learn the key points!

All very much part of the fun though.

Of course, sorry, I knew that! dont know why I wrote air suspension :roll:

and yeah ive been reading throguh this forum getting to know a bit more about them and I just fancy one more and more!!

Im not sure about insurance either, but being old, but also being safe and not a huge engine capacity it shouldnt cost too much Im hoping but I need to look into that of course,
Whats fuel consumption like on these as well?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think, no offence to the member selling it, but £500 is a too much for now though. I dont want to spend thatm uch money quite yet and I would be happy to do some work to the car myself so I would be really happy with a slightly poorer condition car which needed a little work to get running, so long as its not rusted to oblivion.

Also, I would happily consider an estate or a hatch now, either one would be great. depends on whats available!
and I would happily travel a fair way to get it so in cambridge is not essential, just preferably not scotland or something :)

thanks for the help so far everyone!
Dan