I need a knob! and a sump

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
djoptix
BXpert

I need a knob! and a sump

Post by djoptix »

A while ago I bought a red pool ball gear knob for the 16v and sold my standard gearknobs. Now I've gone off the pool ball one and I don't seem to have kept any spares! Does anyone have a standard gearknob they could sell me? Beer tokens await.

Also, my 16v has the tin sump and I'd like to get an alloy one for it... please PM if you have one for sale. Cheers :)
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Any XU engine ally sump will fit, ie an alloy sump from a 1.7td or 1.9td will fit. I have a 1.9TD sump on my valver. If i remember correctly the tin sump has a spacer which you dont need for the ally sump. There is also no gasket for the ally sump, just use instant gasket in a tube.
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Cheers Vanny, I will look into that. I mainly want to get the alloy sump on so I can have a look at installing a baffle in the tin one.

Knob found! I found my spare ones in the cellar.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

It would be better to add a baffle to the ally sump. You dont have to weld one onto the sump, use a spacer from a tin sump and weld a 'push in' baffle onto the spacer. You then get increased oil capacity and a baffle without having to worry about welding ally.
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Any XU engine ally sump will fit, ie an alloy sump from a 1.7td or 1.9td will fit. I have a 1.9TD sump on my valver. If i remember correctly the tin sump has a spacer which you dont need for the ally sump. There is also no gasket for the ally sump, just use instant gasket in a tube..
Not quite so, the aluminium spacer you refer to, has two cross braces cast into it, with the intention that these increase the rigidity of the alloy crankcase, hence you will only find this item on 16v engines (and are always fitted regardless of what type of sump is fitted). Furthermore whilst alloy sumps from other XU engines will fit, the genuine 16v version has cast in fins on the the exterior surface to aid heat rejection.

It is my own experience/opinion that the alloy sump option was only ever ever fitted to mk2 16v engines, unless the car was fitted with aircon.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

There is one (at least!) non Mk2 16 valve BX fitted with the finned sump - my 1.9TD! The spacer braces foul the oil pump, and the sump fouls the flywheel. Also, the holes for the A/C compressor are a different size to the smooth ally sump. None of the above improved my mood when trying to swap the sumps in the rain...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Well, now I'm confused! Ideally I want... (in order of priority)

A sump that I can put a baffle in
A sump that's stronger than the tin one
A sump that cools well
A sump with aircon compressor mounts

Which is best?!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

djoptix wrote:A sump that I can put a baffle in
The smooth ally sump from a diesel with A/C that I used originally, had tapped lugs for a pressed steel mini baffle (not sure what the purpose was) but possible a more substantial baffle could be screwed to these lugs.
djoptix wrote:A sump that's stronger than the tin one
Hmm, the ally sump may give a small increase in crankcase rigidity, but if you hit a rock is more likely to shatter, whereas the tin/steel one would probably just dent (don't ask how I know!)
djoptix wrote:A sump that cools well
When changing to the finned ally one I seemed to find that the oil ran about 10°C cooler in the same conditions. I don't know whether this is down to the fins or the possible extra capacity from having the spacer (I haven't measured the difference in the amount required to fill after an oil change).
djoptix wrote:A sump with aircon compressor mounts
Has to be ally...

Is that any clearer? :)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Yes!

Finned alloy sump wanted please ;)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Kevin B wrote: Not quite so, the aluminium spacer you refer to, has two cross braces cast into it, with the intention that these increase the rigidity of the alloy crankcase, hence you will only find this item on 16v engines (and are always fitted regardless of what type of sump is fitted). Furthermore whilst alloy sumps from other XU engines will fit, the genuine 16v version has cast in fins on the the exterior surface to aid heat rejection.

It is my own experience/opinion that the alloy sump option was only ever ever fitted to mk2 16v engines, unless the car was fitted with aircon.
The ally spacer was also fitted to some 8V GTi engines, possibly later models.

Pretty sure 16v ally sump engines dont have the spacer, infact i think it states this in the parts catalogue. I can't see that a fairly flimsy bit of alloy is going to make a significant increase to the bottom end of the sump!

As said, i've a XUD alloy sump on mine and it IS finned.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

All D6C engines had the spacer, even if it has a steel sump.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

docchevron wrote:All D6C engines had the spacer, even if it has a steel sump.
Like what the doc said.
Well, now I'm confused! Ideally I want... (in order of priority)

A sump that I can put a baffle in
A sump that's stronger than the tin one
A sump that cools well
A sump with aircon compressor mounts

Which is best?!
If you want all of the above I suggest you look out for an Alloy sump from an XUD11 engine as this already has a steel baffle with a trap door fitted. It should fit straight on with little or no modification.
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

OK, Wikipedia isn't being much help telling me which cars that engine is found in. Is it any PSA 2.1TD?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Erm, yes, and no..
Any alloy sumped D12 (XUD11) yes, but they also had steel sumps...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...